Garage extension under Permitted Development

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a detached garage. I’m considering extending its width by about 5 feet (it’s about 17 feet long).
The right hand side of the garage lines up with neighbours boundary. I would be looking to extend the left side - extending towards my house.

I’m trying to work out if feasible to do this under permitted development.

At least one snag - The existing garage has a high pitched roof (Over 2.5m). So I would need to perhaps have the extended bit with a flat roof?

Any advice on whether this would be feasible under PD?

photo attached

thanks so much

Attachments

• AFB8E1BA-60DD-49D2-96DE-3D42625E78EB.jpeg
    AFB8E1BA-60DD-49D2-96DE-3D42625E78EB.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 264
Sponsored Links
The development looks fairly modern? On new-ish housing estates, councils often remove permitted development rights so that any enlargement would require planning permission.
Are your p.d.rights still intact?

It’s from early 1980s. In terms of whether PD has been removed - not sure, will need to work out how to find out :)

Sponsored Links
In my opinion, even if you did put a flat roof on the extended part, it would still require Planning as the part it attaches to already exceeds the PD requirements.

Wouldn’t you prefer a pitched roof to match and all that for the sake of a Planning application that will cost £206.00 and should sail through with no issues?

That’s a fair point.

I have no experience whatsoever with planning permission - so I think in the back of my mind I just associate it with “some neighbour down the road decides they fancy objecting and boom, there’s that idea gone :)

They can only object with valid planning rules, not just because "they don't like it". The planning process is pretty painless. Hand drawn drawings are good enough, although you will need to scale. Only interested in size, location and general appearance, not construction detail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back