Garage facelift with upvc cladding and one felt topping?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My requirement is to smarten up rotten wood cladding with 18mm upvc along 3 sides of semi-detached stand alone garage to blend in with rest of house. This work will disturb very old felting after 20 plus years so the idea (rightly or wrongly) is for two tradesman to put one layer of 4mm green mineral felt on top, at their suggestion to save on a fully costed 3 layer felt replacement.
All materials excl labour comes in at £350 upvc cladding, 4 rolls felt, gas, two corner joints, nails, mastic, and stip of sofit to front, and old to tip, plus two man days labour to get garage looking good. Garage around 5 meter length and longer than standard upvc but is a normal width.
Can this half-way garage roof work satisfactorily with one layer of felt work for this situation or is this the wrong approach ? Material sounds high but labour content is good? Not sure if they leave old top felt or strip old layer which has chippings.
Thanks. Howsthat.

Sponsored Links
The new green mineral isn't going to stick very good over an existing roof with chippings, even if they were cleared of the surface would be to dusty.

Almost correct. Once the gas gun is played on the existing underlay it will pull the bitumen out and bond. If the chippings are bonded in cutback, this will do the same.

It will need very good cleaning first though. Quote sounds cheap to me.

If the roof has chippings on it at the moment then I'd say that one layer might not be good enough depending on how well the surface comes up after the chips are removed. However, if the roof doesn't have chips and the old felt is fairly sound with no serious blisters etc, then one layer of a decent quality felt layed properly will rejuvinate it for another 10 years or so. Just make sure the edges are done properly.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks to those who replied quickly to my first DIYnot forum. Feeback has been very useful. The total job comes in at £500 and for those thinking job is priced low, this is because they are two young lads working in their own time to make some extra money and possibly build up more experience. They work for professional outfit and Ive seen them do flat roof insurance work, so apart from the finishing work and edging that needs to be inspected carefully, it sounds do-able if cleaned well to start with. Im not expecting any warranty but if it fails, Ive still got my new facia boards in place. I take it that OLD top felt removal is not wise as this has not been discussed as a pre-requisite. Thanks again. Truely awesome.

If the old felt is sound and dry with no big blisters etc then leave it alone and felt over it. If it's bad then it'd be better removed down to boarding and renewed.

Generally speaking, peanuts goes to the workers, the rest to the owners. They are qualified, employed by reputable company and I've seen their work. I thougyt the material was on the high side but if it requires more than just 2 x 5 metre lengths of say Swish etc, and best quality felt, this should be about right. But it is just for cosmetic reasons so £500 quite alot in that sense. We were all young once, and Ive had best guys in prestige double glazing do a similar weekend job for a similar price outside work hours in freezing weather and included scaffolding. But everything in life is a risk! I could get the whole job done for eith £650 or £750 depending on who I choose. Its comes down to what is really necessary.

this is because they are two young lads working in their own time to make some extra money and possibly build up more experience.

So basically they're doing a 'private' a snaffling the gear, seems fine to me :mrgreen:

As long as they don't work for me :LOL:

Come on guys, you were young once, but many in the business are self employed remember so nothing is underhand. A good trade and good money whichever way you look at it. On the subject of monkeys, one reputable company had the policy of "measue twice, cut once" and still got it wrong, so you guys are big help for guidance and advice. I would work for you given half a chance:) :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back