Garage lighting circuit diagram

Currently only one of the switches turns light on & off, but if switch 1 is on, then switch 2 will operate it on & off. Basically I want to be able to switch it on/off at either door.
Does it work the other way round?

That is - when switch 2 is on does switch one switch the light on and off?

In other words when the light is ON do both switches turn it OFF but then the other switch will not turn it ON again.

Sponsored Links
Does it work the other way round?

That is - when switch 2 is on does switch one switch the light on and off?

In other words when the light is ON do both switches turn it OFF but then the other switch will not turn it ON again.
Following OP description I believe is has to.

Just seen your reply SUNRAY

I think we have reached the same conclusion.

upload_2020-3-23_15-14-41.png

Yes the cables are all exposed and just clipped to ceiling wood work. Switch 1 can switch light on and off. Switch 2 only works if switch one is on. Then switch 2 can switch on and off. As the cables are all exposed, it may be worth disconnecting everything and starting from scratch

Sponsored Links
Yes the cables are all exposed and just clipped to ceiling wood work. Switch 1 can switch light on and off. Switch 2 only works if switch one is on. Then switch 2 can switch on and off. As the cables are all exposed, it may be worth disconnecting everything and starting from scratch
No don't disconnect anything yet.

Please follow them and see if our guesses are correct, especially to see if there is a twin and earth between the switches.

There is a cable coming from the mains to light switch 1. There is a cable going from light switch 1 to the light fitting. There is a cable going from light switch 2 to the light fitting.

Can you look again please and tell us if this looks like your installation?
upload_2020-3-27_13-16-39.png

IF SO
Look specifically at the cable marked link, we can see the red at one end is connected to an L1. Tell us where the red is connected the other end.

this is the cable I'm referring to and it's 2 wires
upload_2020-3-23_15-23-41-png.186571

I suspect you mean:

1] There is a cable coming from the mains live to light switch 1.
2] There is a cable going from light switch 1 to light switch 2.
3] There is a cable going from light switch 2 to the light fitting.
4] There is a cable coming from the mains neutral to the light fitting.

Numbers added to sketch:
upload_2020-3-27_13-34-31.png

Earths not shown for clarity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back