Garage lighting circuit diagram

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone provide me with a circuit diagram for my garage light, which is one light with 2 switches/pull cords, one at each end of garage? Currently only one of the switches turns light on & off, but if switch 1 is on, then switch 2 will operate it on & off. Basically I want to be able to switch it on/off at either door.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
^^^ This ^^^
I'd open up the switch that's only working 1-way and start looking for a 3rd core. It's either missing or has come loose in the switch.

two-way-real.jpg
Basic wiring diagram notice three wires required between switches.

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me that there may possibly only be 2 single way switches
upload_2020-3-22_22-53-14.png
Hopefully it was done properly with a 3C & E between the switches and developed a fault.

If it has just stopped working I would think one of the switches is broken, unless one of the red wires is broken somewhere.

If it has never worked properly then someone might have wired the light wrongly.

Diagram:

upload_2020-3-23_13-28-25.png

If it has never worked properly, the two red wires (or one of them) between the switches might run via the light where someone might have connected them wrongly.

Mmmm. It's difficult because I can't tell which cable is which and the other wires have been cut off.

I would say that the red wire at the light should be swapped for the black from the same cable (or vice versa at one of the switches) but it is impossible to be sure.

Can you tell where the cables come and go to?
Do you have two cables from the supply, one to each switch?

Last edited:
I would say that the red wire at the light should be swapped for the black from the same cable (or vice versa at one of the switches) but it is impossible to be sure.
Second thoughts - I don't think that is correct - it wouldn't work at all if that was the case.

This is my GUESS based on the pictures
upload_2020-3-23_15-6-30.png
cables circled with grey and spare wires shown. Switch number, L1's and L2's have been randomly applied.

And again this is my GUESS.
If this is what you have the fix MAY be simple.

Before I go any further:

1) Is there any sign of a junction box anywhere?
2) do you have any test kit, such as a multimeter?
3) Can you trace and identify the existing cables? Especially the red from the lamp and to see if there is a twin and earth between the switches. It looks like they may be surface clipped and exposed.

4) Can you work safely with electricity? (not being insulting, just trying to find your abilities)

EDIT:
Looking at your pics again I can see I have at least one switches L1 & L2 round the wrong way.

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-23_14-53-57.png
    upload_2020-3-23_14-53-57.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back