Garage Lighting

Much brighter and all the light is directed below the fitting rather than some of it going up to the rafters.

Most florescent fittings are shiny white painted so that light going upwards is reflected back down.

Years ago it was possible to get florescent tubes with a built in reflector also to direct the light down. Have not seen them for years though.

Sponsored Links
Anyone still fitting fluorescent battens on a new install needs their head looking at. LED is better in every single way.
I've been out on a number of jobs where the customer has been conned into having fluo's replaced with LED battens and asked to have extra fittings added when they struggled with the resulting shadows and reduced light levels. The usual fix is to replace with Fluo fittings and several times with the originals which have not been dumped yet but fit new tubes.
My own view: LED battens are horrible and in no way compare with, and certainly not better than, Fluo's.
One of the workshops I worked in moved to a new building with 600mm ceiling grid, every 4th tile was a LED panel (15 panels IIRC) and we all complained of poor lighting, namely bad shadows and poor colour (some of the wire colours were difficult to identify!!) bit by bit we added 6 recovered fluo fittings of various sizes then stopped switching the panels on.
The important thing is to assess the requirements first and not blindly fit the currently fashionable devices.

Last edited:
Anyone still fitting fluorescent battens on a new install needs their head looking at. LED is better in every single way.
I've been out on a number of jobs where the customer has been conned into having fluo's replaced with LED battens and asked to have extra fittings added when they struggled with the resulting shadows and reduced light levels. The usual fix is to replace with Fluo fittings and several times with the originals which have not been dumped yet but fit new tubes.
My own view: LED battens are horrible and in no way compare with, and certainly not better than, Fluo's.
One of the workshops I worked in moved to a new building with 600mm ceiling grid, every 4th tile was a LED panel (15 panels IIRC) and we all complained of poor lighting, namely bad shadows and poor colour (some of the wire colours were difficult to identify!!) bit by bit we added 6 recovered fluo fittings of various sizes then stopped switching the panels on.
The important thing is to assess the requirements first and not blindly fit the currently fashionable devices.

Myself and my circa 50 year old fluorescent fittings (some of which have only recently been fitted after being rescued from being skipped) would disagree.

Sponsored Links
Myself and my circa 50 year old fluorescent fittings (some of which have only recently been fitted after being rescued from being skipped) would disagree.
Now you mention this, I salvaged some redundant 4ft Fluo fittings from work for my home workshop which I built in 1985. those particlar fittings were in use when i started work in 1972 and are still in daily use with the original tubes as I know I've never purchased any that size. And the fittings installed in Dads garage in 1966 are still going strong, I replaced the tubes earlier this year as the PIR commented they took ages to strike, just like 10 years ago when the previous testing took place and I imagine will happen again in 2029.

Now you mention this, I salvaged some redundant 4ft Fluo fittings from work for my home workshop which I built in 1985. those particlar fittings were in use when i started work in 1972 and are still in daily use with the original tubes as I know I've never purchased any that size. And the fittings installed in Dads garage in 1966 are still going strong, I replaced the tubes earlier this year as the PIR commented they took ages to strike, just like 10 years ago when the previous testing took place and I imagine will happen again in 2029.
Any pics of them? I could possibly tell you what they are

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back