installing garage floodlight to 3 pin plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently bought https://tekled.co.uk/products/30w-pegasus-flood-light-pir-motion-sensor-4000k-cool-white-ip65 to replace a existing floodlight that has stopped working. Original cable was just fed through a garage vent into a 3 pin plug so was going to replicate this.

The new cable is a tad short so i need to replace the section back to the waterproof junction box with a longer one - would this just be a standard twin core and earth rubber insulated or am i looking for anything specific?

For the plug, what size of fuse would you recommend using?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The new cable is a tad short so i need to replace the section back to the waterproof junction box with a longer one -
Not sure if you mean the cable to JB from the light or from the plug.
Does it matter to my answers?

would this just be a standard twin core and earth rubber insulated or am i looking for anything specific?
Virtually any flexible cable 0.75mm² or 1mm² will do - suitable for outside if it will be outside.

This will not be called twin and earth but three-core.

For the plug, what size of fuse would you recommend using?
3A will do. 5A or 10A; it's not that important.

You want a cable that says it is suitable for outdoor use. That generally means two things, firstly that the cable is UV stable (which usually means it's black, since carbon black is the cheapest way to make plastics/rubbers UV stable) and secondly that it is round so that glands seal well.

Note that you generally can't change the cable on most LED floodlights, so if the cable on the light won't reach your junction box you will generally have to move the junction box (and if necessary replace the cable feeding it).

Assuming the cable is in a location where it is unlikely to be damaged, black rubber flex is probablly the easiest choice. Something like https://www.screwfix.com/p/time-3183p-black-3-core-0-75mm-flexible-cable-25m-drum/61627

Fit a 3A fuse in the plug.

Perfect! thanks for the answers folks!

Junction box is directly off the wire from the light, then the wire i’m replacing is from the other side of the JB to the plug.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back