Ring Floodlight Cam - wire with 3 pin plug?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a Ring Floodlight Cam and am hoping to install myself. I plan to fix to an external wall, drill a hole through to inside. On the inside is a plug socket (quite hidden in a cupboard so not easily accessed). Can I just purchase the following to wire it together, or should I be getting an electrician? Also what fuse should I use, is 5a ok?

Sponsored Links
I have just bought a Ring Floodlight Cam and am hoping to install myself. I plan to fix to an external wall, drill a hole through to inside. On the inside is a plug socket (quite hidden in a cupboard so not easily accessed). Can I just purchase the following to wire it together, or should I be getting an electrician? Also what fuse should I use, is 5a ok?

have you got a local hardware shop as by the time you pay postage on that from kenable it will probably be cheaper from a local shop. or have you got a suitable lehgth of cable in the house already and just need a plug?

Sponsored Links
I'm in England. Should it be a certain thickness? I'd rather buy the cable with a plug on already. What's the best fuse to have in this, don't know where this would be in the manual... I'm curious if anyone has experience doing this with ring products.

Finally is another option to spur off the socket? Presumably this will need an electrician..

Next time you throw out a broken electrical appliance, cut the lead off and keep it!

The camera/light will no doubt have a tiny draw, so I'm sure a 0.75mm2 lead will be fine. It should say the power rating on the item/box?

Next time you throw out a broken electrical appliance, cut the lead off and keep it!

The camera/light will no doubt have a tiny draw, so I'm sure a 0.75mm2 lead will be fine. It should say the power rating on the item/box?

0.75mm cable will deserve a 3amp fuse.
A larger cable is ok with a 5amp fuse.

s? I'd rather buy the cable with a plug on already.
That Kenable cable is only 2metres long! I doubt that will be long enough. Easier to buy plug and a few metres of cable ftom Screwfix or B&Q etc. note cable must be suitable for use outside.

The cable will literally go from the camera straight through a wall and down to a socket, 3 metres tops I would say.

So should it be armoured cable? The cable will poke through the wall and into the watertight camera connection, so won't really be outside at all if that makes sense..

Then the cable will not be actually outside. we have to consider external influences: sunlight (UV) is not good for some PVC cables.
When you drill your hole through the wall, make sure it slopes down from inside to outside otherwise water can track into the house.

As i say, easier to buy separate cable and add a plug. Dont forget that a cavity wall is about a foot thick.

Thanks for all the advice. And just to confirm I can run the cable straight to a plug (with 5a fuse) with no issues with the Ring Floodlight? I read lots about using a fused spur, but is this no different apart from it can't be easily unplugged/switched off?

This is what I think I'll need:

1708804514732.png

Last edited:
That cable is much larger than you need and will need a larger bend radius. As already suggested, 0.75mm is all that is needed.

Buy this:
Doncaster Cables 3 Core Heat Resistant Flex Cable (3093Y) 0.75mm2 Coil (94276)

THREE amp fuse:
Plug Top Fuse 3A (62399)

You don’t need an expensive tough plug. Save yourself some money:
Product code: 74540
Fused 3 Pin Plug Top 13A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back