Newbie has trouble with RCDs, MCBs, Floodlights, garden plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Thanks for whoever will spend some of his time to help me.

I am living in a rented house where the landlord fails to do things (after all it's his house but, come on!)
4 years ago I asked him to put some floodlights at my expenses and he sent a guy who said to be an electrician. The guy wired the 2 floodlights 3-core separate cables to a round box and from it a 3-core cable to the main consumer unit.

Some years later, the landlord decided to work on a side of the house, and he called some people; the workers disconnected the floodlights and worked on the side of the house, then when they have finished they haven't reconnected any of the lights. I have now decided to rewire the floodlights and also put some sockets in the garden.
I wanted to do a better job, rewire everything (replacing the cables) and also put conduits. I have bought another consumer unit and I was wondering if I can wire it to the round box where the 2 floodlights cables were connected in the past.
Then I wanted to put the wires of the floodlights and the plugs in the new consumer unit. I am confused between RCDs and MCBs. There might be a RCD in the "new" consumer unit, but I don't understand if I have to put 3 more RCDs in the unit and connect each line to them (1 RCD for the garden sockets, 1 RCD for one floodlight, 1 RCD for another floodlight), or 3 MCBs with different capacity.

Can anyone please advise me on that?

Regards

Sponsored Links
We'll cut to the chase.

1) You don't understand how to do this.

2) The work is notifiable, it has to comply with the Building Regulations.

3) This is not your property.

4) Please get an electrician - not only is this work beyond you, it's not down to you to leave your landlord with a property which needs a Building Regulations completion certificate and doesn't have one.

Thank you for your advice...
I am wondering if I should reconnect everything as it was in the past, though the guy that did the job never issued a certificate to me.

In any case I will call an electrician

Regards

I am wondering if I should reconnect everything as it was in the past, though the guy that did the job never issued a certificate to me.
That's what I'd suggest - your landlord has few grounds for complaint if you simply re-instate what his contractors failed to put back.
The previous electrician probably gave his completion certificate to the landlord - that's who would have been paying the bill to him, and who would need the certificate if asked to show that the work had been properly notified.

Donning my landlords hat, I generally disapprove of tenants doing that sort of thing themselves - in fact I'd be flipping livid if I found out a tenant had been modifying the electrics. But then I'd be making sure such things were attended to (there really is not excuse not to) - it seems anecdotally I may be in a minority there.

Sponsored Links
Donning my landlords hat,~~~~ it seems anecdotally I may be in a minority there.
I too am landlord for one property let to tenants. The letting agent and I were very annoyed when a tenant had Sky installed without asking permission.

I would be furious with good reason if a tenant did any DIY work without getting written permission first.

The difference in this case is it seems he's already asked the landlord and is having trouble getting it done - plus it's only reinstating things that were already there. Assuming that is the case, the landlord only has himself to blame.

I too would be furious if a tenant got Sky installed without asking. I know what their installers are like, and it's obvious that the first and only priority is how quickly and cheaply they can do it. Neatness doesn't seem to get a look-in.
Depending on what was done, I'd be tempted to report it as criminal damage to the Police - there's a specific clause in the tenancy agreement to cover installation of aerials and satellite dishes (permission is needed). In the house I've gone to the trouble of making sure there is enough cabling from the loft to each room - so apart from the fact that I'll have to do the connections in the loft*, there's no excuses.
* Sky installers won't go in lofts.

When I said "it seems anecdotally I may be in a minority there", I was referring to the previous bit in the same sentence "making sure such things were attended to (there really is not excuse not to)". I always assumed a reasonable landlord would keep their property in good working order, but my line manager rents as does his sister. The stories I keep hearing about the difficulty of getting even basic maintenance done are just embarrassing.

Basically this is the situation.
I have been in that house for over five years and instead of being one of those cheeky tenants that call the landlord for every single silly things, i tried to take care of the property as if it were my house.
Initially he was nice and funny, then he became more and more distant and over the years he started discarding all my communications regarding the problems in the house, just showing up without notice if he didn't see the money on his account (too much work to get online banking or printing statements on the bank!)
I took over the house in a situation where the previous tenant did bad things and tried to subrent the house to me pretending he was the landlord; as soon as i have discovered it, i have contacted him and we sorted things out. We then used to deal verbally, so when there was a problem I used to tell him and he was getting back to me.
But then major works had to be carried out (the water from rains was pouring on the outside walls and infiltrating inside the house, every room was having mould, the front and rear pavements were broken with tiles falling apart, the carpet was old and filthy etc.)
He kept me waiting for over a year before making a new surface on the pavement and rebuild the surface of the side of the house where we had infiltrations (we discovered that were holes between the bricks under the coating so the water was infiltrating).
During all these years he refused and failed to pay for a Corgi certificate for the boiler, so i had to call a company myself and take care of it this year (but then i deducted the fees from the rent). I have been waiting for months for him to fix up the gutters and he still refuses to replace the carpets, keeping on saying he will send over a professional cleaner (whom i have ben waiting for the past 6 months).
When he came last week (again without notice) to show some guys the gutter problem, I told him the the houses around his have been burglared so i wanted to put back the lights that had been removed by his people over two years ago, and he was staring at me; imasked him if I could do it and he agreed.
He's usually sending over to fix the house people that work for him, so it's difficult to say what's going on. A few years back when I wanted to put the floodlights he sent his handyman that sent to me a young man, a few days later, that run the cables and connected the floodlights to the main consumer box by inserting three wires in it and joining the two floodlights cables and the wires coming out from the consumer unit with a round junction box. He said the Landlord refused tombuy another consumer box just to connect the lights. I had paid him with a cheque and that was it. He used a grey flat very hard cable, difficult to bend, with hard copper wires in it. If yiu remove the coating, you see that the copper wiring of the ground is without any further protection, it's like if the three copper cores have been covered with they grey coating only. He even laid the wiring of one floodlight under the bath tub without any conduit, and he made a hole to take it out from the wall just in proximity of the water pipe of the sink. I don't believe the guy was a proper qualified electrician. Now that i took back the idea of replugging the floodlights, i put 20mm white round conduits all over the outisde of the house, i run a 15mm three cores covered wire (each core has its own colored coating and all the cores are contained in a blue coating), i put a partial conduit (the same as before) under the bath tub (at least under the tub as i cannot reach all the path of the cables in between the pipes), i put an IP55 fuse box as a junction outside the wall, for the cable that runs the sockets into the garden, so i will join the cable coming from the inside of the house to the one running outside the house for future works/expansion... So i think that all the aspects are being covered. I have bought a garage consumer unit in wickes, which has just one RCD fitted. The only thing left is to connect the new consumer unit to the main one, and to connect the floodlights and the garden sockets to the new consumer unit. I don't mind calling an electrician to finish the job and certify it, but as i reached the 90% of the job myself, i would have wanted to buy and fit the three remaining switches myself to the new consumer unit, plug the consumer unit to the main one (but i could wait for that one) and then call a qualified electrician to check all the work done and if it's been done well, to finish it and certify it. There's no point in calling someone that might work as badly as the old guy a few years ago and pay him to dismantle all I have done and re do it worse. it's true that despite being an IT consultant with some years experience in running and connecting cables I am not an electrician, but i have used all parts that are rated for garden/outdoor use (IP55-IP66 junction boxes, grommets, cable clands, conduits, garden sockets with fuses and covers), good 1.5mm coated 3cores cables.
So, i just want to understand if an only RCD in the new consumer box is enough and i can plug the sockets and the floodlights to separate MCBs, or i need in total 4 RCDs (one already fitted and three for each line). The landlord doesn't care, he won't spend a penny, he just wants the rent at the end of every month, and he agreed for me to take care of it. Whether i do it myself of i call an electrician it's my problem; i do know my limits so as I said I don't mind calling someone who can legally certify things, but I would just prefer to call him, provide him with all the necessary parts (after all the only missing parts now are the three switches, RCDs or MCBs, whatever they will be), have him check the overall situation, connect the wires, certify everything and get his money... The job has been done over the years and has been there sleeping for a good while...
Thanks anyway for the support and the advice!

During all these years he refused and failed to pay for a Corgi certificate for the boiler
Guess he doesn't know that's a criminal offence :rolleyes:

As for the rest of the story, I find it hard to understand a landlord with such a disregard for the property. Perhaps he's just used to bad tenants, but if you have a neglected property then you aren't going to attract good ones. The original electrician does sound like a bit of a cowboy, bit it's not easy to be sure from the limited information. The flat grey cable is probably "twin and earth" which has a central earth (bare), with the line and neutral (separately insulated) laid up side by side and oversheathed with an oval jacket.

He does sound like the sort of landlord the regs the rest of us are burdened with were created to deal with.
The deposit protection regs came in because of the problems some people have had getting their deposits back. The gas requirements (not only for a safety check, but also for a maintenance contract on the boiler I believe) were brought in because people were being killed by faulty/badly maintained gas appliances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back