been burgled!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I've Just been burgled and I would like to change an old floodlight which is on my garage in the back garden(controlled by switch in garage or switch in kitchen)to a floodlight with PIR sensor. The wiring in the new floodlight is as follows:
4 block connector, 1 with 2 white wires, 1 with 1 brown wire, 1 with 1 earth, 1 with 1 white plus 1 blue, where the old floodlight only had 3 connectors 2 white and 1 earth.
There are two cables to connect to this, 1 from the switch in garage:1 earth, 1red, 1black and 1 cable from consumer unit 1 earth, 1 red 1 black, where do they all connect to? Hope i've been clear enough
Any help appreciated Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Go look at the drawings in the reference section on how lighting circuits are wired.

The cable from your CU provides the permanent live, the neutral and the earth. The other cable takes the permanent live to the switch on the red wire, and brings back the switched live on the black one. This should be sleeved red at both ends, BTW.

But as for which terminals in the light are which - you'll have to look at the instructions. Presumably it can have a switched live to override the PIR for when you want it on all the time?

I can connect the light to a switched spur outlet in the garage no problem but i want to be able to turn the light on from the kitchen using the existing two way, which isn't covered in the instructions.The light can be overidden by turning the switched socket on and off in under 1 second.
The light connections are blue plus white= neutral, earth, brown =live, white plus white =L1

Sponsored Links
Alarm does work and went off unfortunately it doesn't have the capability to disarm thieving intruders, my dog also also works very well but is only a little jack russell! it was 4.30am, myself, wife and 2 young kids were in house I went downstairs and got crowbar smacked round my head, long wait in hospital and 6 stitches. Explanation offered was that eastern europeans may not know the etiquette that you do not rob a house with an alarm fitted.

No wonder I have my Shotgun and rifle in the room at night.

Cheers, shotgun sounds good idea. Anyway light now working,was wired up right but was a faulty unit, swapped unit and now is fine.One of those annoying jobs that should have taken 30 mins but stretched on a bit. Now all the burglars can see what their doing! Many Thanks

Not suggesting you use this, but could add companionship to the odd house patrol !! So after christmas, don't throw the whole tree away !!
Look down the page at hereabouts for pix !!
hereabouts

Heard recently of similar types using a child to reach through letter box and unlock front door !!

P

pipme said:
Heard recently of similar types using a child to reach through letter box and unlock front door !!

P

I remember years ago my dad telling me that a kid from his school (he was a teacher back then) had been helping his father burgle houses by being lifted up to climb through small windows, and would then open the door from inside.

Apparently another common one is using a piece of stiff wire to lift keys from tables/shelves near the front door. So be careful if you leave your car keys in the hallway.

The rubbish dump I used to work in, travellers would come along at night, and put their children through the hatch of the big blue "donate your old clothes to the 3rd world" bins. The children would then scoop up the clothes and pass them out via the hatch. When empty, the children would climb out again.

AdamW said:
The rubbish dump I used to work in, travellers would come along at night, and put their children through the hatch of the big blue "donate your old clothes to the 3rd world" bins. The children would then scoop up the clothes and pass them out via the hatch. When empty, the children would climb out again.
That's fair enough - they're a 3rd-World culture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back