garage loft requires ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am soon to embark on insulating my pitched roof garage.
There is no overhang, the pre-formed wooden trusses sit on top of wooden beams sitting directly on top of the single skin brick walls
I will be plasterboarding a ceiling and piling it with rockwool type insulation.
As there is a lot of wood being sealed away up there I am concerned about ventilation (it's currently open). Venting it from below would defeat the entire project (thermally insulating the internal space of the garage).
My plan is to put an airbrick (plus insect screen) in each of the gable ends - SEE PICTURE (proposed airbrick location marked in red)
Will that provide sufficient ventilation? I suppose I ought to include a loft hatch in the ceiling just to keep an eye on things and possibly to provide some extra storage, though it will get very cold up there in the winter.
Do airbricks allow rain water through? If so, is there a recommended way to prevent driving rain entering the airbrick holes? Should I put in two airbricks at each end?

Thanks for any advice guys

Attachments

• airbrick.jpg
    airbrick.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 133
Sponsored Links
Another thought ...
There is roofing felt under the concrete tiles. Might a few well aimed tears in that fabric add useful ventilation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back