Garage Power - and I mean POWER!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How thick a cable should I lay to my garage?

Hi. I am having a new patio laid between my house and my garage making it a good time to sink any cables in the ground even if they are not used just yet. We already have an electric car which charges from the garage. I can see that in the future I would like to put in a rapid charge point 16 A instead of a normal square pin 13A socket. I understand that the cable to the garage is currently only rated at a total of 16A so ideally the supply will need to be uprated.
  • What size cable should I buy to completely replace (not add to) the current cable (pun unintended)?
  • What should I do with the cable ends, for now, given that it will not get connected up maybe for a few years?
  • How long should the tails be when they surface from the ground outside the walls of my utility room (where the main circuit breakers are) and the garage (where its circuit breakers are)?
Thanks hugely for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
I can add that the linear distance between the walls below both consumer units is 9.7 metres. So with getting to the junction boxes at both ends then it will be about 11 m of armoured cable.

Hi. I am having a new patio laid between my house and my garage making it a good time to sink any cables in the ground even if they are not used just yet.
Then install ducts for now. When the electrical system has been fully designed and the correct size of cable has been selected it can be installed into the ducts.

Your electrician may find it easier to terminate the SWA in a suitable box and make the connection to the CU in more flexible twin and earth. Glanding SWA into the case of a consumer unit is not an easy task.

Bernard

Thanks for your suggestion.

If I do go for a duct then what are they made of? Does it matter that it will probably inevitably get water inside?

At the moment I still assume that burying a suitable cable would be the easiest solution.

Sponsored Links
Then install ducts for now. When the electrical system has been fully designed and the correct size of cable has been selected it can be installed into the ducts.
whssign.gif

110mm drain pipe with swept bends and a strong rope laid in
Or better still, purpose designed twinwall ducting, which can be laid with no joins underground. And won't get mistaken in the future for a drain.

If I do go for a duct then what are they made of?
http://images.google.com/images?q=twin+wall+ducting

Does it matter that it will probably inevitably get water inside?
Why is it probably inevitable if you seal the ends?

Ban; seal the ends and all joins. I guess I am pessimistic about joins staying sealed once buried.

Ban; seal the ends and all joins. I guess I am pessimistic about joins staying sealed once buried.

You wont have any buried joins.

As per BAS' original reply.

You can buy twin wall in coils plenty long enough for your purposes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back