New power saw trips garage mcb - what options do I have?

I'm sorry to say it, but it looks like you only really have two options.

1. Have a more apropriatly sized cabled installed to the garage.

2. Use the chop saw inside.

Sponsored Links
There is a third way - to bodge your own soft starter.

You could try wiring an electric fire in series with the supply to the motor. Have an extra switch across the fire so that you can short it out.

You start with the fire in circuit. That will limit the starting transient. When the saw is running, switch the fire out of circuit by shorting its terminals, so the saw gets full power.

Sounds a bit of a bodge, but safety is not compromised.

If i am correct the cable is fused at 20a my suggestion is a 16a dedicated saw cct and a 10a small tools etc therefor if operator error caused the current to rise above 20a the mcb in the house will trip you are covered for any overload situation and only the saw can use the higher rated feed.

Stoday said:
There is a third way - to bodge your own soft starter.

You could try wiring an electric fire in series with the supply to the motor. Have an extra switch across the fire so that you can short it out.

You start with the fire in circuit. That will limit the starting transient. When the saw is running, switch the fire out of circuit by shorting its terminals, so the saw gets full power.

Sounds a bit of a bodge, but safety is not compromised.
:eek: Have you ever done this!?!

Sponsored Links
Not very refined :LOL:

A proper NTC inrush limiter would be far better!, or if you are really pushed a choke of some kind

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back