Mitre Saw tripping MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I had the house rewired a couple of years ago, sparks put me in a dedicated circuit for integral garage/workshop. This is a radial featuring 2 twin sockets on a 10A MCB. Don't know why he used a 10A breaker. Cable is 2.5mm TE, surface mounted (just pre-17th edition!)

Anyway, most equipment runs fine on the current setup. However my 2kW mitre saw trips this (not unexpectedly) so I tried it with a 16A which also trips. No problem running off the ring main sockets (no problem on previous 13A spur from ring main either) so I suspect startup inrush current is the problem. Would the best move be to up the breaker to 20A or is this likely also to be a problem? Or would a lower rated type C breaker be a better overall bet for workshop use. What about completing circuit as a ring main on a 32A MCB? 10A has been reinstated for now.

I will get a sparks in if necessary, although I am capable of safely swapping MCBs and extending simple circuits (yes I do know about Part P). Even so, I do not want to make changes I don't understand, so any advice would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
For a start you won't be able to just swap MCB types without first ascertaining the Zs of the circuit in question........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back