power saw causing mcb to trip

teachergeezer said:
what you need to do is change the mcb from a b type to a c or even d type.
do not fit a D type, these are only for very special applications, not domestic or garage applications, and they require very sturdy wiring.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both for the advice.

Teachergeezer;
in response to the Ze issue, this is only relevant where you are not using an rcd for protection against whats termed 'indirect contact
Don't follow you there mate, can you put that in layman's lingo?
as this is a garage you should have an rcd fitted as a amatter of course, either in the 2 way cu in the garage or back at the house's main incomer.
The garage CU has it's own integral rcd main switch, the armoured cable is protected by the rcd in the main house CU.

Kai;
How did the plug fuse in the saw hold up?
With no problem, not sure on the rating of the fuse, it's the Bosch factory fitted one.
Probably a case of discrimination failure has struck again!
Sorry, what do you mean?

Thanks again for all the advice, I'll be looking to swap the mcb if at all possible then, but I just want to be clear about the implications of doing so.

JD

Sorry I'm a bit of a dumbass, but could I get a bit more advice on this?

So it's looking like I should replace the mcb with a type C, but what calculations should I do first if any and what are the implications? Would the type C not trip as fast if there was a problem, would it therefore not be as safe a setup?

Perhaps someone knows a link where I could read up on this?

Many thanks.

JD

Sponsored Links
JDLDIY said:
Teachergeezer;
in response to the Ze issue, this is only relevant where you are not using an rcd for protection against whats termed 'indirect contact
Don't follow you there mate, can you put that in layman's lingo?
See links below.

JDLDIY said:
Sorry I'm a bit of a dumbass, but could I get a bit more advice on this?

Perhaps someone knows a link where I could read up on this?

Cable/MCB selection: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=81696#81696

MCB Types: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=76467#76467

Maybe I got this round my neck, but I thought that in a TN system, the main protection against indirect contact should be provided by the overcurrent device, not an rcd, thus contray to what has been said, you still need to meet the Zs for 0.4 sec disconnect on a type C to be able to use a type C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back