MCB not working after a trip

Its not unusual for a Mcb to blow open circuit, i note its only a 16 amp. i have seen a few Hager 6 amps blown, where in Uk are you

Sponsored Links
Its not unusual for a Mcb to blow open circuit, i note its only a 16 amp. i have seen a few Hager 6 amps blown, where in Uk are you

Sorry for the dumb-ass question, but can I just check what you mean by "blow open circuit"?

I'm in South Cheshire. :D

Sorry for the dumb-ass question, but can I just check what you mean by "blow open circuit"?
Die in the way that it seems yours may have done! ('open circuit' means no connection between the 'input' and 'output', even when it's meant to be 'switched on')

Kind Regards, John

Die in the way that it seems yours may have done! ('open circuit' means no connection between the 'input' and 'output', even when it's meant to be 'switched on')

Kind Regards, John

Thanks. That's what I assumed was meant, but I wanted to decode it for numpties like myself.

Sponsored Links
Ok,it may be worth telling him what happened and what Mcb you have, i think there only about a fiver and if he brings one, it will be cheaper than having a 2nd return visit , not sure you will purchase one locally and it may need to be ordered.
Are you going to tell us how you blew it.:)

Thought I'd better update this thread with the outcome...

I've awarded myself two numpty certificates - one for causing this in the first place, and the second for eventually discovering that my garage is protected by an additional FCU which was placed (illogically in my opinion) inside the external meter box of the house.

Of course, the 13A fuse in the FCU was blown. Replaced and it's all good.

Thanks to everyone who helped on this thread. :D

I've awarded myself two numpty certificates - one for causing this in the first place, and the second for eventually discovering that my garage is protected by an additional FCU which was placed (illogically in my opinion) inside the external meter box of the house. Of course, the 13A fuse in the FCU was blown. Replaced and it's all good. ...
If I were the sort of person who says "I told you so" (or, at least, "I suggested/asked about that possibility"), I might say ..... :)

Whatever, I'm glad to hear that it's sorted.

Kind Regards, John

You must deserve an award for tripping an RCD and a B16 MCB and blowing a 13 amp fuse, im guessing that would be hard to recreate.
You are so right, I once replaced an RCD for a neighbour at their insistence after it and the 16A MCB and 13A plug fuses for mower or extension lead failed to trip for a third time when they cut through the mower cable. Ie they had cut the cable for a third time and on no occasion did anything trip or blow and it was even a metal blade.

I'd checked and demonstrated that MCB and RCD worked but he insisted.

If I were the sort of person who says "I told you so" (or, at least, "I suggested/asked about that possibility"), I might say ..... :)

Whatever, I'm glad to hear that it's sorted.

Kind Regards, John
I empathise with the comment but it can be so unfair as fitting like these are sometimes 'hidden' in some very discrete places.

I empathise with the comment but it can be so unfair as fitting like these are sometimes 'hidden' in some very discrete places.
Indeed - and you don't need to tell me...

... you may recall my story about the supply to my daughter's shed, when she reported that it had 'died' (i.e. no power in shed). The shed was fed via SWA (only visible at the shed end- goodness knows where it left the house!) from a not-RCD-protected MCB in her house CU, with a min-CU (with RCD incomer) in the shed (all of which she had inherited from previous owner). There was certainly electricity coming out of that MCB and equally certainly no electricity getting to the shed.

I deduced that there must be a JB or suchlike somewhere, since T+E left the CU, yet SWA arrived at the shed. It took longer than I care to recall hunting for this, but what I eventually found, under the kitchen sink, behind lots of plumbing (not to mention packets of washing powder etc. etc.) was an RCD - which had failed open-circuit!

Kind Regards, John

A friend of mine had a kitchen installed and when they couldn't find that a FCU did anything they positioned a base unit in front of it without noting it anywhere. Unfortunately they left it switched off so the immersion didn't work for a while. I tried tracing the Immersions feed cable some months later with a tone tracer which got part way and then it was a lucky comment by her 6 or 7 year old daughter of it's existence and a torch and mirror over the top of the units back soon found it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back