Garage roller door contacts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a domestic garage roller door with 70mm aluminium slats that I need to add an alarm contact or two to.

I was wondering if any of the pros on here had some photos of how they usually do this. I can't quite figure out the best way to mount the usual roller door style contact.
CQR_RS002-ALI.png

Ideally the contact would be mounted on the side guide rail rather than the floor.

Sponsored Links
Post photo of your garage door,include bottom rail and side rail photos as well as full photo of the door from the inside of the garage.

Roller-Garage-Door-internal.jpeg

I don't have an photo of mine on me but its the same as the one in the photo above.

Guide rails are 95mm wide and the bottom rail has the same curve as the rest of the slats

Site roller contact on floor and magnet on door 90 deg to your posted photo of rs contact.
You may require a packer under the contact to lift the contact to fit door better.
Post around with wiring to get best postion before fixing.20mm/ 25mm gap between contact and magnet should be ok, check first.
Fitting on side could cause issues with roller when door opens, may hit top roller rail boxing.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, the door seals down on to block paving which is why I was hoping not to mount the sensor on the ground. I guess this isnt actually a problem?

As the slats have a concave profile I was wondering about bonding a thin magnet to them which could be picked up by a contact mounted on the guide rail.

Would that work, or is it a bodge?

These Heavy Duty contacts are designed to be mounted on the floor and driven over by HGVs

Have been around for years, no problems

FWIW, the large industrial sort (pictured above) which I bought was just too big for my domestic-scale door. Instead, I 3d printed a mount to go on the bottom door lath which matched the concave profile of it and brought a conventional door contact out far enough to meet the reed switch mounted on the fixed rails. Happy enough with it and does the job.

(ignore the mess - I only fitted this late last night and haven't tidied it all up yet!)

uYhQXa9DYLz06ODa0wtDrEQALDiIRp6FAHhRqwYM0TnvJYU0lbRvVWU7ZTgzKd2efBk5RaLHiPu74fEd2e0xkO1TknDciVpS45qB-ZNvKgfcf-Q-UWsOV0jDSiFwcvPIbBRyDc5D3o9cYobxN13U83ruyv53Dxy9ybJWlWyL35Z-Fm-ijxJLhF9cDO7AMZJ8rkp_CLSHGQBjYTjNIkiRYwrTq9hYp1t3ylJ-1_lsacFTgECjrYrZw_xqMfRPbyMDhEfhgkiXDwtxHZwQtlE-A-SSKRuE50BKggx_6wGyTJ_8mxjiXO9t1QuJBCPghiwWrXtP4fQSSBA5bKPz4mm7uOnAJ5AWAAhonTGO9VzVG0IM2vMTdgyztciwOARcZokEbA7C-5h11Xn5vCj-U9cmPaiY0PeH7lmLFAOuhzAbnq7943aotQvCimxKhKjesqQSvZJRJiMVrefjluiixzTUeCM0sAaW4v0tHOVKxXXyVaZIledAU-1u8jZQn7l11zYaVZN5CdVblMjWwml-Pbxl5nOrijj1YN2nzEaeCZ_gBqdAQRBS1DNAJ-coy9Tr6R2sjGQvLUdYdsJAmBFpeJaIvS7cBmlGc0T4hjuDyAvr0UFp0O9w0QIbMQymg-qqRBkjMZi--I2wXL2xeRfqjKtumhQLl7DKZFWU9fmilSRU22RLdJdfujCzGk77sETgQdCsi4jvBUeOteD2fNSOq2521zzv=w1274-h956-no

Thats the exact contact I bought from toolstation yesterday.

Let me know how you get on with your fitment method, it looks good to me

Thats the exact contact I bought from toolstation yesterday.

Let me know how you get on with your fitment method, it looks good to me
Will do (and yes, good spot of toolstation's finest!). TBH though, it's working now and I can't see it failing so it'll probably stay as it is. I didn't want to screw into the door laths, so the screws go into the spacer which is bonded to the door with some permanent double-sided tape. Not a perfect solution, but does the job.

If you have a 3d printer, I can send you the files, but it only took me 10 minutes to knock-up in sketch-up anyway, so it's almost worth you sorting your own to fit. If you're stuck, I'm happy to print another and post it to you if you think it will help you out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back