Garage Roof - Felt or Rubber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to get my garage roof repaired as it's had several major leaks over the last few months and I was hoping for any advice and/or suggestions if possible.....and before I go any further it's not something I can do myself so will need to get someone to do it.

The roof is approx 30m2 (square metres) and at the moment is a felt roof. Naturally I'm hoping to get it done for a reasonble price, though I'm not sure what reasonable is.

So far I have had a quote from a company to fit a rubber roof (same as seen on Permaseal site using the Firestone rubber stuff - 50 yr guarantee etc...) and to replace whatever number of boards underneath need replacing ( I estimate 3 or 4) for £1800 all in. They did start at double that and haggling got it down to £1800 but I've no idea if this is good or not.

If anyone can give me their thoughts on this price, estimated prices for felt or rubber or which is better, I'd certainly appreciate it

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I had to replace my sun lounge roof last year.
I bought the Firestone rubber as it comes in one piece, cut to order.
It was quite a task getting it up on the roof, two of us using two ladders, once up moving it into place wasn't too bad.
Laid it on T&G oriented strand board, covered with a geotex fabric and protected from the sun and wind with a layer of pea shingle.
The fact it comes as a complete set when ordered on line, makes it very easy.
Research shows this has been used for a long time in the USA and does as it says on the tin.

Any genuine tradesmen will not half his price by haggling unless he was trying to rip you off in the first place!!!
If it helps I work to £40.00 m2 strip and re-felt, £70.00m2 strip, re-board and felt.

If you are able to do it your self, diy rubber roof kits cost around £17 per m2, available from Permaroof, just google them

Sponsored Links
£1800 is some where near, for new boards and rubber.
I cant see him giving 50yr gaurantee, for Firestone rubber, its been out just over 50yrs, so the life expectancy is 50yr.
We trained a few years ago, with Firestone and give 20yr gaurantee, which will be updated, sounds like he got the life expectancy and Firestones gaurantee mixed up.
As some one else has said, you come out, measure up and give a price, you dont start of with one price then half it.

I'm about to get my garage roof repaired as it's had several major leaks over the last few months and I was hoping for any advice and/or suggestions if possible.....and before I go any further it's not something I can do myself so will need to get someone to do it.

The roof is approx 30m2 (square metres) and at the moment is a felt roof. Naturally I'm hoping to get it done for a reasonble price, though I'm not sure what reasonable is.

So far I have had a quote from a company to fit a rubber roof (same as seen on Permaseal site using the Firestone rubber stuff - 50 yr guarantee etc...) and to replace whatever number of boards underneath need replacing ( I estimate 3 or 4) for £1800 all in. They did start at double that and haggling got it down to £1800 but I've no idea if this is good or not.
Hi i own a reputable roofing company and have been installing firestone rubber for 12 years, 1800 is very expensive, it is fitted in quickly and should cost 1100 to 1300 max hope this helps

If anyone can give me their thoughts on this price, estimated prices for felt or rubber or which is better, I'd certainly appreciate it

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back