garage wall repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
for a while now water has been avoiding the gutter of the garage and moving down the wall instead. I have repaired the gutter. That has damaged the pointing on the garage bricks.

The image below shows the wall in question. The foreground shows that the pointing is in worse state than further away:

The next image is a close up of the damage on the wall. The old mortar is very sandy in texture.
How can i tell if these bricks are the ones that get damaged if i use cement?
What should I use to fill the gaps after raking out the old mortar?

There is also a crack that starts at the top of the picture and runs in a staircase line down to the damp course. Should I get a professional out on this or can i fill it with mortar?

The window in the garage wall needs to be stripped back and the sealant needs to be replaced. After I've stripped back the wood, what should i use to reseal between the bricks and wood?

Thanking you in advance for any and all advise.

Sponsored Links
If you are painting then you will need to seal with an oil based mastic as silicon will not accept paint.

If you are painting then you will need to seal with an oil based mastic as silicon will not accept paint.

I'm going to strip it back so i'll use silicon if thats better? obviously i wont paint it.

Sponsored Links
Those bricks are london commons so the mortar will be cement based, so you can use that

That crack is foundation movement but it looks old. You can repoint, but it may hairline crack again. As its a garage, it should not be an issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back