Garage wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, I'm new here but seems like the pace to be for a DIY freak.

I just bought my first house and need a little help. All though ill have a go at everything I'm not electric fan.

Our garage is powered by a normal 240v socket in the house then fed into the garage. I want to use the as the previous owner did but the one 60w bulb isn't gunna cut it.

Ideally I want x2 fluorescent units and also sockets I can use for power tools. I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to wire it , using the round splitter things and I understand the wiring diagram.

What I am unsure of is will x2 lights and 3-4 sockets be able to run off the one singles 240v feed??

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Also if anyone can help on this? The garage is damp ( I know not good with electrics) but its only the floor. The walls are dry. I guess it's coming up through the concrete. My idea was dpm the floor then board over it with 8x4 sheets so I can use the place and not have wet feet. What are your thoughts on this??

Cheers
Tony

Sponsored Links
Where does the cable run, is it protected?

I think the answer you will get from the pros on here is that you need a sparky to do it properly, shielded cable, RCD protection etc. Can you post a photo of your consumer unit fuses, any idea if it's RCD protected?

Sponsored Links
The garage is detached. About 3 ft away from the house
You will need the work certificated includes any sheds or outbuildings.
If by 'certficated' you mean 'notified to LABC' that is not necessarily the case. Extension of circuits in outbuildings is not, per se, notifiable.

However, it sounds as if the OP's power supply to his garage is not satisfactory, and that he will need some professional help (quite probably involving new cicuits, which would be notifiable, whether in the house or an outbuilding).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back