Garage workbench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Total newbie willing to learn having just moved into a new house and keen to lose my DIY virginity and not my fingers :LOL:

I now have a garage which is a prefab bolted togther approx 8' across, as my first project I want to build a work bench at the back across the width for general stuff like working on bits of the mountain bike (not the bike on the table mind you), general DIY workspace.

What's the best stuff to construct it out of? Good ol 2"x2" frame? what working surface or wood with a thin metal cover? Is there an easy solution for cutting it to fit flush to the walls as there are sections that uniformly stick out.

I'm pretty sure the roof is of the asbestos variety so will leave that well alone but the walls should be ok to drill?

**This should of ended up in General DIY not discussion, can a mod move it please?

Sponsored Links
Very poor design , top has lots of bounce and huge waste of space below.
Ideally a sheet of mdf for the top , danish oil it and it will absorb very little spills and mess.
Use a 2x4 frame and several shelves or draws below for regularly used tools.
A vice would be useful on one end.
Personally have mine on large locking wheels to allow redesign of work area.

How about the Roubo....Now theres a work bench!
theroubo.png

Sponsored Links
Some food for thought there, not sure about the last one, I'd have to bolt it down to stop it getting nicked :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back