Garage workbench top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just bought this workbench - http://r.ebay.com/IMC7CN for my garage. I am going to be using it for mechanical work and general DIY. I want to cover the work top with something that will suit. A couple of options I thought of:

Metal covering
Hard rubber
Formica - http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/formica-sheet

Could you share any links to what you think may be best?

Many thanks,
Kieren

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
don't use metal because one day you might be doing something electrical on it.

A piece of kitchen worktop (laminated chipboard) is hard wearing, easy to clean, and you can swap it for a new one when damaged at modest cost. You might even get it free from somebody refitting their kitchen.

Add an upstand to prevent things falling down the back

Looks quite flimsy, I would clad with mdf all round to strengthen and if you need to use a vice then a thick mdf top to secure to, [kitchen worktop is not suitable for a vice as it swells when damp and breaks up easily under load.]

Thanks guys - good advice. Yes the bench isn't the sturdiest but I think I'll fix to the wall and look at cladding, thick MDF top for securing vice, upstand is good idea too.

What are your thoughts on some vinyl flooring over the thick MDF top?

Sponsored Links
mdf doesnt like water so would avoid mdf on the top even iff covered as you may peirce the covering
as said worktop makes great cheap easy clean easy replaceable surface

and whilst fixing to the wall will help with the strength it may also cause a problem with the wall or fixings when thumping bumping it will also aid sound transfer through the wall

and you will loose a lot off storage space as sides will stop things spilling out as you overload the storage area :D

Have mdf on mine for 10 years has been fine, a coat of oil keeps it damp proof but not essential.
Have a rubber mat for flooring , reduces electrical hazard [your frame is metal].

As said it will need some beefing up a thick sheet of ply, glued to the top would be good. I always cover my benches in hardboard fixed with pins and varnished it's surprising how serviceable it is and when it finally needs a tart up just pull off and re-pin a new bit on! ;)

old scaffold boards,then a sheet of ply over the top.

or as others have said old worktop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back