Garden Arch... spikes or Postcrete???

Sponsored Links
Things you might consider:

The arch is probably not going to be a long-term structure.

It is not going to have big loads on it

You could just bang it up and put it on the bonfire when it rots.

A thing I have done with little post-and-rail ornamental fencing:
You can buy Concrete Repair Spurs. They have a couple of bolt holes in them. If there is not much wind or weight loading, you can put them in the ground and beat it down well with no concrete (so they'll be easier to get out when you change your mind). You can bolt the legs of your arch to them, the legs to be off the ground to protect from damp and rot. If you paint the spurs with dark brown masonry paint before installation they will blend in well with the woodwork. In my town the parish church uses these spurs to support the legs of the noticeboards by the gate.

Here is my trivial post-and-rail done that way:

POL_0110.jpg

Thing is... earlier I went and got two bag of Hanson Post Fix and a post level all for £10.94 from a well known store whose sales vouchers are orange & name rhymes with "haven’t a clue". So it's near on sealed how I'm gonna do this.

if its pressure treated you should get a good 10 years from it.

Sponsored Links
jaywalker said:
Thermo said:
never bother with bricks etc when we do fence posts. Get a post level. It will cost about £3 and allows you to get it plumb in both planes spot on. Dont overdig the holes and make sure you mark them out carfully first.

...a post level like this?
f7_1.JPG

Now that's something I need to get!

Good advice

yeah dont throw the elastic band away like i did! :oops:

jaywalker said:
Thing is... earlier I went and got two bag of Hanson Post Fix and a post level all for £10.94 from a well known store whose sales vouchers are orange & name rhymes with "haven’t a clue". So it's near on sealed how I'm gonna do this.

will 2 bags be enough?

AndyBill said:
yeah dont throw the elastic band away like i did! :oops:

no AndyBill, I need the elastic band to strap me fags to the post so I know where they are; after job done then I'll throw it away :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back