Garden electrics: Power for water feature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would like to add to the existing power setup in my garden to feed a small water feature. Currently have a cable running from the house CU to the exterior RCD (below). This currently feeds a single outdoor socket and 2 small wall lights. The single socket provides power for 7 outdoor LV garden lights (5W per light).

The water feature would go opposite (diagonally) to this RCD. I am thinking of running some SWA cable from this RCD to a junction box where the water feature will be situated.

The cable run from the RCD to the water feature would be approx 55 foot.
Unsure which water feature we are getting at the monent so don't know what the load is.

Q1 - Is it acceptable to add another cable to this RCD given there is already two?

Q2 - What size SWA would be required (1.5 or 2.5)?

Thank you.

IMG_1076.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi

I would like to add to the existing power setup in my garden to feed a small water feature.
Are you aware that this will be notifiable, i.e. you're required to obtain Building Regulations approval before you start?

Currently have a cable running from the house CU to the exterior RCD (below). This currently feeds a single outdoor socket and 2 small wall lights. The single socket provides power for 7 outdoor LV garden lights (5W per light).
Do you mean ELV? //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:voltage-bands

If so, where is the power supply for the lights?

The cable run from the RCD to the water feature would be approx 55 foot.
You're burying it, I trust?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/7.13.3.htm

Unsure which water feature we are getting at the monent so don't know what the load is.
Best to design for the maximum then.

Q1 - Is it acceptable to add another cable to this RCD given there is already two?
Not so much unacceptable, more physically impossible.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:swa-gland

Q2 - What size SWA would be required (1.5 or 2.5)?
What do you plan to do about testing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back