Water feature and a power supply.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been talked into buying a "water feature" for the garden.
Naturally, it requires power for a (small) pump.

What I want to do is to take a spur from an existing socket, run a short length of cable to an something with an RCD in it
e.g.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat...oing this myself? Thanks in advance. T.

Sponsored Links
Outdoor wiring is notifiable work, so you must notify your BCO BEFORE you do the work.

If you do not have RCD protection on the downstairs circuit then an RCD spur or socket is needed, remember to fit a suitable fuse, 3A is probably sufficient for the pump.

What do the instructions say? Does it mention anything about cable routing (is it suitable for use in direct sunlight or burial?)

I would want to protect it/myself with an RCD. I am really asking what the difference between RCD spur and RCD socket are (if any). Is one better than the other?

Thanks for the info on notifiable wirk. What's a BCO?

Building Control Office

An RCD spur will require the pump cable to be directly wired into it whereas an RCD socket allows standard plugs to be used.

If you do not have RCD protection on your downstairs circuit I would suggest getting the RCD socket as you can also use it for your lawn-mower/hedge trimmer etc.

If you have RCD protection via an RCD in the CU then you don't need an RCD spur/socket.

Sponsored Links
May be better to get a 12Volt pump with a transformer in the house plugged into a spare socket.

12v pumps are a waste of space.
The other thing is the OP has the water feature, and to simply plug it in does not require any notification.

The main problem is people do as they see on tv, i recall several times on ground force Charlie Dimmock quite clearly pulled a pump cable through a hose (yes hose) and just burried it (But she did always mention rcd) but never mentioned SWA or stray shovels etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back