garden fence height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Was hoping to get some advice on garden fence heights. I want to fit a 6ft (1.8 meter) high fence on my left hand side of garden. House is inner city type small house. The issue we have is all the gardens are raised up about 500mm from the floor level of the houses.

I believe your allowed to build a fence upto 2 meters high without planning permission. However where do they measure from? Is it the floor height when your in the raised garden itself? Or is it from the floor from street level?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Unlike buildings, where the height is measured from the highest point of natural ground around the perimeter of the building, I hink fences are expected to follow the profile of the ground immediately below tthem, so max 2m high (or 1m adjacent to a road) at any point the council man cares to come and hang a tape vertically

Note, that it's the height on your side of the fence, if your house is on a natural mound than has been excavated to make way for a road and a retaining wall built

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back