Garden fence nightmare!

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

i agreed with my neighbours to go halves on a fence so i arranged to have one installed. The fence was feathered edge arch top with concrete posts. The neighbours have the side with the two battens on horizontally.

When they arrived back from holiday they said they were not happy with the fence and thought it was just going to be a lapped larch type.

i told them that i would pay the full amount which is more than reasonable i think :confused: ? They are still not happy as they will have to match their other ones to this in the future. So they want the panels changed but i will have to feel the cost and replace all my other ones :eek:

I told them that i will turn them all round to their side if they pay for the fence but they are still not happy.

Anyone have any ideas as i don't know what to do :cry:

Sponsored Links
I would tell them that as you paid for it, its your choice of fence, if they want a differnt fence they can pay for it.

Also point out that you are sorry they dont like it, but you did offer to turn it around, so as they dont want that, tough

Thanks for the reply breezer.

The fence is shared as stated within the deeds, but when looking at the position of the fence it does not exceed the end of our garage brick work onto their grounds. don't know where i stand on this with regards to legal standings. Obviously i don't want to fall out with them as they don't with us but they seem adamant that they don't want the fence.

don't need this sort of stress at the minute as the partner is expecting out first baby in 4 weeks ;)

You stated that the fence and presumably that includes the posts do not exceed the brickwork of your garage well if that is the case that means categorically that the fence is on your land and as such it is your fence and nothing to do with them so you really can have any type of fence that you wish.
It may be that the fence has been replaced and moved back by the previous tenants to yourself.
How old is your house ?

Sponsored Links
Hi, the house was built in the 1960's,

the neighbours finally agreed to accept the fence but we had to pay the full cost :eek:

All is well for a while until this morning when i noticed that they had painted their side and all the paint has run onto my concrete bases. I dont think it will come off,

where do i stand and what should i do? :cry:

Paint your side in your favourite colour!

I will put up sopme pics shortly which to my eye look rather attractive.

RMS said:
Hi, the house was built in the 1960's,

the neighbours finally agreed to accept the fence but we had to pay the full cost :eek:

All is well for a while until this morning when i noticed that they had painted their side and all the paint has run onto my concrete bases. I dont think it will come off,

where do i stand and what should i do? :cry:

Clap your hands and jump for joy !!!

Go to the CAB, ask for a consultation with their solicitor (first ½ hour is free) see where you stand.
On the face of things without knowing the full history you should be able to sue them for damage to your property or at least for the cost of removing the paint.
If you wish to get down to the bare bones, the fence is yours, they had no right whatsoever to paint it, it is on your land not theirs, you paid for it, IT IS YOUR FENCE NOT THEIRS TO PAINT, you may be able to sue them for criminal damage.
It is a bit like them deciding ~ I do not like the colour of your house then simply going out and painting it whatever colour they choose.

The least you should settle for is some financial restitution, ie; they compensate you for the FULL price of the fence including labour and the cost of the removal of the paint from your side, but do it in writing AFTER you have seen a solicitor, he may even write the letter for you on a no win no fee basis.

So there you go, clap your hands and jump for joy !!! :D

Here we are. I was trying to replicate the appearance of an old-fashioned
creosoted wooden fence, although the construction is with concrete posts
and gravel boards.

This shows the "inside" where I have painted the concrete work in dark
brown masonry paint (the arris rails have been cuprinol'ed but I have not
yet stained the timber this side)
POL_0107.jpg

this shows the "face" of the fence, where I have treated the woodwork
with Ducksback ?Forest Brown to tone with the brown concrete parts.
POL_0108.jpg

This one shows an older fence where I have done a similar thing. Behind
the vegetation I think the concrete is not at all noticable.
Fence02.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back