garden gate hingeing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how does one go about hingeing heavy garden gates, say, six feet tall by six feet wide each. I have pins and "straps" but the gates keep sagging. there is no apparent method of adjusting the hinges. Is there a particular hinge for this situation?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure there sagging ? I have gates 6ft high by 4.5ft wide, when i first put them on i thought they was sagging/dropping.
My big mistake was not making them with a Z frame I just used 3 cross battons and the gates was twisting.
Once I put Z peices on, it resolved this.
A 6ft wide gate is rather large - Maybe a Wheel on each gate ??
definatly 3 hinges per gate.

thanks for the reply. the problem seems to be that the "pin" on the post is too slack for the band/strap on the gate. i tried slanting the pin back to give a little lift but it looks terrible.

Sponsored Links
Should use heavy duty T-hinge and the brace should start from bottom hinge side upward in 45 degree angle to support the top frame of the gate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back