Gate hinge conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two six foot field gates across my drive, attached to the inside faces of 8 inch timber gate posts with hinge pins similar to these:

http://www.generaltoolstore.com/ekm...0-mm-plate-strap-band-hinges-112f-45368-p.jpg

I now need to be able to open one of the gates inward more than 90 degrees, but of course it won't do this because it hits the plate and the post. We should have fitted the hinge pins to the back of the posts, but didn't.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? I don't want to start digging up the posts because they are concreted in to a depth of over a metre. I can't simply move the pins to the back of the posts, as there will be a big gap between the gates.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
I believe that you can get eyes on long threaded bolts to fit your pins. You would then be able to fit the pins to the back of the posts and adjust the gate spacing to suit.

Gerald, let me know how you get on, as I would like my gates open beyond 90, mine are fitted just as you described yours are.

I believe that you can get eyes on long threaded bolts to fit your pins. You would then be able to fit the pins to the back of the posts and adjust the gate spacing to suit.

Thanks. The hinges on the gates, however are long sturdy straps - I'm not at all sure I could replace those with bolts without sagging, but it's worth thinking about.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Can you bolt the original hinge plates to extension brackets, mount the new bracket on the back of the post? This will leave the hinge right out on the corner of the gate post. You will have to get the extensions made.

Galvanized would be best or paint the extensions before you fit.

Edit 1:
Even tidier would be to get a nut welded onto the extension. Then just thread the hinge part into the new nut? They look like a metric (coarse) thread, any hardware store will have nuts.

Can you bolt the original hinge plates to extension brackets, mount the new bracket on the back of the post? This will leave the hinge right out on the corner of the gate post. You will have to get the extensions made.

Galvanized would be best or paint the extensions before you fit.

Edit 1:
Even tidier would be to get a nut welded onto the extension. Then just thread the hinge part into the new nut? They look like a metric (coarse) thread, any hardware store will have nuts.

Thanks. I thought about screw- bolting angle iron to the back of the plates, either a long strip or a couple of plates, and getting a neighbour to weld some pins to it. The picture I linked to is misleading as it's only the bottom adjustable pin that screws through the plate - the top one is welded to it. I needed adjustment at the bottom as the gates must swing up slightly.

The back corner of the gate actually catches on the plate before it hits the post, so I'd need to use a much narrower plate or eliminate it altogether. I'll see if I can sort out come pictures.

Cheers
Richard

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back