Fitting Hook and Band Hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just built a new garden gate and decided to fit Hook and Band hinges. When I slide the hook into the band there seems to be between 2 and 3mm movement of the hook pin inside the hole in the band.

If I fit the band along the centreline of the top and bottom rails of the gate and the hook plates vertically on the post, won't the gate drop because of the clearance?

Should I try and fit the hook plate slightly off vertical to try to compensate for this?

This is the first time I've hung a gate so maybe I'm over thinking it !!!

Hinge.jpg

This is picture illustrates the effect of the excess clearance of the hole in the band with the hook plate lined up against edge of the gate

Regards

Steve

Sponsored Links
That's what I have done in the past....hung the crooks off the vertical. I hate doing it though - goes against the principle of keeping things square!
John :)

But there are two hinges.

Where do you think the bottom of the gate can go when it is restrained by a hinge?

It cant go anywhere - but the bands wont be fixed horizontal when there is play like that....it just doesn't look right. That's why I prefer to offset the crook a bit - its the owners choice!
I was taught to fit a third hinge, upside down so the gate cant be nicked :eek:
Also, when the hinges wear more after a few years, the droop will be more pronounced.....the same applies for crap quality tee hinges.

Sponsored Links
That's why I'm asking because I'm not sure if the gate will drop with 2 hinges fitted.

I spent a lot of time building the gate so I want to get it right

I really don't like my hinges.. I've also discovered that my other hinge has a bend in the band too. It's made from 5mm thick steel it's impossible for me to straighten so they are going back to the supplier tomorrow...I think I might have been expecting too much for 8.50 a pair ))

I'm determined to make a nice job of this so I've ordered adjustable ones which look like they are better quality.

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...ustable_hook_and_ride_hinge_galvanised/405201

Steve

It cant go anywhere - but the bands wont be fixed horizontal when there is play like that....it just doesn't look right. That's why I prefer to offset the crook a bit - its the owners choice!
I was taught to fit a third hinge, upside down so the gate cant be nicked :eek:
Also, when the hinges wear more after a few years, the droop will be more pronounced.....the same applies for crap quality tee hinges.

With the bottom hinge positioned a few mm closer to push the gate back to horizontal the hook wouldn't need to be off square would it? At least, that is my understanding from what John D said, which makes sense to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back