Gate hinges hook and band?

Sponsored Links
I've found that they are all a bit like that to some degree.....I offset the crook and band to accommodate this and keep them greased which minimises movement after fitting.
I was also taught to install one crook upside down to stop the door / gate from being nicked....I don't know if this is still practiced!
John :)

I was also taught to install one crook upside down to stop the door / gate from being nicked....I don't know if this is still practiced!

yep
;)

I have seen them fitted opposite ways on to prevent this. Or if used on a door the door should normally be fitted into a rebated frame then it could only be lifted off when the doors are open.

Would they not just be able to remove the 4 screws securing the hook plate anyway because I think it has to be fitted to the outside of a door frame if using the cranked hinge?

When you say offset looking at them face on, do you mean move them up or down from the horizontal level position to counter the play in them?

Sponsored Links
It was very much against my principles never to mount anything out of square, but I had the doors packed up exactly in place, and then marked out the crook position first (ever so slightly off the vertical) and then fixed the band accordingly.
The end result was fine, no one really noticed anything - apart from me!
Anyway, there was no other way that I could see.
The bands were 24" galvanised, and heavy gauge steel.
The crooks are made thief proof by incorporating one bolt either in the centre, or through one of the screw holes.
John :)

I think I will have to do the same as they are all loose fit and obviously I cant have my doors sitting at an angle. It just means the 50mm wide hook bracket will need to be mounted to a frame now wider than 50mm to accommodate the angle it's kicked over to. this is how it might have to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back