Garden gate hardware

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this weekend i am building our new garden gate. After reading through the forums and having a general google i have decided to build a cladded framed brace and ledge gate. But i am unsure about which size/type of hinges and locking mechanism would be best.

I have had a look online but so far i havent found any useful sites that help, so i would really appreciate some advice.

The gate itself is approximately 900mm wide, and 2000mm high. Any advice on which style of hardware would be most appropiate? Also the dimensions of the required hardware? The frame itself will be built out of 3x2" redwood.

Also would i be better off buying a kit such as this?
http://www.diy.com/search/gate hinges/Hook-and-Band-Gate-Hinges-and-Ring-Handle-Kit-11987820

Or is there a cheaper better alternative.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The kit you link too is a bit heavy for a light weight gate, T hinges would be enough, also depend if high security is needed an open slatted gate offers little cover for thieves down side alleys,a solid gate is easier to climb and conceals.
You can get a soft wood kit from Wickes fairly cheaply for a basic gate up to 900mm wide.

I use hook and band for a heavy gate, but for anything up to the size and weight of a front door, I recommend lift-off stainless butt hinges.

Used outdoors, any other light hinge will rust quite soon and then break.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back