Fitting a garden gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Just after some advice on my plan to fit a garden gate at the side of the house to secure the path to the back garden.
I have bought one of these kits...
http://www.wickes.co.uk/ledged-and-braced-gate-kit-1981x988mm/invt/187707/
And am busily assembling it at the moment.
My question is fairly simple, I think, if I can explain it properly...
The path is quite narrow 3ft max and goes along the side of the house between my wall and our neighbours fence.
I want to mount the gate on my wall and have it opening outwards so as not to take up more width on the path.
My plan is to mount a pice of 4x2 to the wall and fix my gate to this with the hinges inside and the gate opening outwards. The gate will be 2" thick when assembled so the 4x2 is to give space for the gate to fold back against the wall.
I know most gates I see seem to open back onto the hinge but I am planning to open away from the hinged side (if that makes sense).
Is what I plan going to work? or am I going to come stuck somewhere?
To my untrained eye it seems to be feasible but I don't want to start drilling holes in my wall only to find I have missed an obvious stumbling block that can't be overcome. So I guess I'm asking for a confidence boost really, or someone to tell me I'm talking rubbish and it won't work.
Either way I wont have drilled holes all over the place untill I know it will work.
Thanks in antisipation.

Regards to all
Clive

Sponsored Links
It would work but might look a bit odd. In this plan view I have your wall on the left and the fence on the right and showing a T-hinge.

You'll notice that the gate doesn't go right up to the wall when closed but you have that small square bit between the gate and the 4x2.
The gate would fold flat against the wall assuming there was no furniture (latch, etc.) on it.

It would work but might look a bit odd. In this plan view I have your wall on the left and the fence on the right and showing a T-hinge.

You'll notice that the gate doesn't go right up to the wall when closed but you have that small square bit between the gate and the 4x2.
The gate would fold flat against the wall assuming there was no furniture (latch, etc.) on it.

Thanks StephenW, that's exactly how I planned it.
TBH I hadn't considered the gate furniture, that may be an issue.
The gap at the 4x2 end will look a bit odd but I can't see any way around that.
May have to rethink my strategy and put up with it opening inwards.
Is it ok if I mount the hinge plates directly on the wall to save space?
Or at least reduce the 2 inches somewhat?
Also, are there any suitable hinges that would enable the gate to be removed easily for wider access?

You can't reduce the 4x2 to any thinner than the gate otherwise it won't be able to open (including fitting the hinges to the wall!).
There are hinges like this...
http://www.heritageironmongery.co.uk/kirkpatrick-hinge-1814-pair.html
but they're expensive and might not work anyway. Garden gates will often need the length of the T-hinge to provide sufficient support and normal butt hinges wouldn't work.

Sponsored Links
You can't reduce the 4x2 to any thinner than the gate otherwise it won't be able to open (including fitting the hinges to the wall!).

But if I hinge the other way when the gate opens the hing will lay flat against the wall, wouldn't it?

There are hinges like this...
http://www.heritageironmongery.co.uk/kirkpatrick-hinge-1814-pair.html
but they're expensive and might not work anyway. Garden gates will often need the length of the T-hinge to provide sufficient support and normal butt hinges wouldn't work.
Wow! that's more than I paid for the gate. Not really worth it I don't think. I'll just have to unscrew it if I need to ;)

But if I hinge the other way when the gate opens the hing will lay flat against the wall, wouldn't it?
Yes if either you have the gate opening inwards or you have the long arm of the T-hinge in the outside of the gate.

As I thought. Think I may bite the bullet and have it open inwards. It will look better and I won't loose a lot of width.
Many thanks for the advice. It was good to bounce my thoughts around with you. Much appreciated.

Regards
Clive

Those gates are best treated before assembly for longer life.
Also replace nails supplied with small screws as they are the first to fail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back