garden gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am going to make a garden gate, the gate does not need to be heavyweight as it is not for security but more for partioning of a section of garden.

The gate itself is going to be about 3 foot by 4 foot, i was thinking about making it from two vertical stiles, 3 horizontal rails, and then diagional bracing.
Or making from three horizontal stiles. and two diagonlal braces (one on the bottom half of the gate, and the other on the top half of the gate), which is style of the neighbours gate..

My questions are :
1. what style do think would be best?
2. What size timber would be best? I do have some 5" by 1" treated timber in the garage, would that be alright to use?
3. What type of joints should i use to make the gate?

As you can probally tell i am not a chippie by trade, but i am a keen woodworker.

Thanks in advance :D

Sponsored Links
inch is a bit thick isnt it? still if you have it.

i made one (taller) 5 vertical boards (with gaps) horizontal one top bottom diagonal one from top to bottom

i would go for 3x1" treated for the staves about3" inches apart with 3/4" each side and a 1" stop

i would put an arc on the top just to make the gate more interesting and arc or 3 sides on the top of the stays

3 rails across and 2 diagonals all 4x1 treated

Sorry big all i am a bit unsure about the trade terms :oops: .

When you say staves do mean what i would call cladding on the front of the gate?

Whe you say stays do you mean what would call gate posts?

And for the rails and diagonals could i use the 5x1 treated i have instead of 4x1 treated, or is the 5x1 just to big and will look bad?

Sorry if my questions are stupid but i am new to woodwork.

Sponsored Links
apache said:
My questions are :
1. what style do think would be best?
It's really your choice
2. What size timber would be best? I do have some 5" by 1" treated timber in the garage, would that be alright to use?
You can do but the joint might open up if you don't mind, I mostly go for T&G cladding
3. What type of joints should i use to make the gate?
Half lap joint with glue
half1.gif

When putting in brace, start at the bottom hinge side and away to the corner of the gate

This might help you

apache said:
Sorry big all i am a bit unsure about the trade terms :oops: .

When you say staves do mean what i would call cladding on the front of the gate?

Whe you say stays do you mean what would call gate posts?

And for the rails and diagonals could i use the 5x1 treated i have instead of 4x1 treated, or is the 5x1 just to big and will look bad?

Sorry if my questions are stupid but i am new to woodwork.

sorry missed your answer
the gate i describe is open board design [you can see through it]
it has [if its 36" wide]5 planks 3x1" treated sawn wood around 48"long[high]

the rails[horizontal bits] made from 4x1"treated if the opening is 36" the rails are 1" less [35"] to allow 12mm clearence each side
the rails should be about 4 or5" from the top and bottom with another one centraly placed

i fit diagonals [4x1]going like a "V" from the centre hinge out

the staves are positioned 1" from the edge and spaced approximatly 3" apart
the top of the individual stays could have a radius to the top or my favorate 3 equall angle so you have a flat top with equal angles each side
this can easily be done with a mitre saw set at 45% a pencil mark to work up to and a flip to cut the other side

you could also extend the middle stays to form an arch by around 4 or 5"

if you do that the top rail may look better 2 or 3" inches higher with the middle rail adjusted centraly[top rail 2 or so inches from the top of the side stays]

there are no joins on this gate you just cut the diagonals to finish within the stays [but not crutial]

a nail or screw wherever any two bits of wood cross avoiding the 2" nearest the the end or within an inch of the edge

3 "t "hinges to fix

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back