Wooden gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to replace my wooden garden gate, and so i would like a little advice if possible. The dimensions of the total gap are:

910mm wide x 2110mm high

The gate will be fitted between the house and the garage, so both posts will be fixed to solid masonry walls.

After having a look on google i have drawn up a little plan and i would just like a nod of the pro's before i start :D

So my plan as it stands is, i thought i would make the gate and posts out of redwood, with the posts being 4x4" and the gate itself a ledge and brace construction, with the gate frame and cladding made out of 4x1".

My questions are;

1. Is a ledge and brace the best construction?
2. Is redwood the best timber to use? (barring oak etc)
3. Is the timber sizes i suggest substantial enough?

All advice would be much appreciated, even the advice is to go back to drawing board. :D

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Only things for me that stand out are
- 1" sounds a bit thick for the gate cladding but then you know what the gate is holding in/out.
- I'd consider using 2" x 4" as both posts are against solid walls and you'd gain 4" on walk through width. Nothing wrong with 4x4 solution though.

if your fixing either side why not go for 3x2 or 4x2 so you will only loose 7" from the width rather than 11" as 25" is quite restricted

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply's guys.

As far as the cladding goes, the house isn't in a very rough area and its located in a suburb so no issues with wildlife etc. The gate is really only for quick access to the garden and so the kids can play in the garden without getting out onto the road etc. Although having said that it probably will have a football kicked into etc, and i wouldn't be surprised if my nephews go climbing and swinging on it when there is no one around to stop them :D

I thought 1 inch cladding purely because i want the gate to be sturdy and last a good few years, but you boys know better than me and if 1 inch is to thick, then i am more than happy to take your advice. What size timber would you suggest for the cladding?

As far as post size goes, i thought 4x4" just going off what is already there, but 4x2" sounds a lot better given the extra space :)

Do you think that 4x1" is ok for the gate frame though? I was planning on constructing the frame from mortice and tenons for the extra strength. What do you guys reckon?

Thanks

you need to check the actual size
are you using planed or sawn timber
1" txg will be around 19mm thick

your design sounds like a framed braced and ledged door,If that's the case Stiles 4"x2", Top rail 4"x2",lock rail 1.1/4"x6"Btom rail 8"x1.1/4,braces 1.1/4"x4", T&G flooring for vertical paneling tongued into stiles and top rail

I was planning on using planed redwood, here is a link to my local merchants webpage with the timber i planned to use:

http://www.hancockandbrown.com/planed_timber_ex_18mm_thick.php

But again i am more than happy to take advice on it, i thought it would look nicer and maybe last longer than just normal water treated sawn timber.

I hadnt planned on using txg, i thought would use straight edge as would help with expansion and contraction etc, but that is all based on what i read on google :D So again all advice is much appreciated.

The only thing i really know for sure is that i am not keen on feather board as i dont like the look but apart from that i am more than open to suggestions.

Thanks

your design sounds like a framed braced and ledged door,If that's the case Stiles 4"x2", Top rail 4"x2",lock rail 1.1/4"x6"Btom rail 8"x1.1/4,braces 1.1/4"x4", T&G flooring for vertical paneling tongued into stiles and top rail

Well i had planned a braced and ledged constructed frame but with the cladding over the top of the frame, similar to this

http://www.premiersheds.co.uk/garde...ded-frame-ledged-braced-side-garden-gates.htm

or

http://www.premiersheds.co.uk/garde...ove-frame-ledged-braced-side-garden-gates.htm

But from what i understand you are suggesting more of a door construction with the t&g cladding rebated into the frame? Just like you would do if it was a panelled door except the cladding replaces the panels? Similar to this

http://www.torridgegates.co.uk/frame_ledge_braced_tgv_gate.htm

Which is the better construction to go with?

Thanks

Wickes do a gate kit which is easy to assemble, best to fit an open slat gate to ally?, more secure, thieves like a nice solid gate, easy to climb and hides them while they kick in the back door.

Well i had planned a braced and ledged constructed frame but with the cladding over the top of the frame, similar to this

http://www.premiersheds.co.uk/garde...d-universal-closeboarded-frame-ledged-braced-

side-garden-gates.htm

or

http://www.premiersheds.co.uk/garde...ove-frame-ledged-braced-side-garden-gates.htm

But from what i understand you are suggesting more of a door construction with the t&g cladding rebated into the frame? Just like you would do if it was a panelled door except the cladding replaces the panels? Similar to this

http://www.torridgegates.co.uk/frame_ledge_braced_tgv_gate.htm

Which is the better construction to go with?

Thanks

The premier gate looks fine and would be easier costruction than framed braced and ledged

Wickes do a gate kit which is easy to assemble, best to fit an open slat gate to ally?, more secure, thieves like a nice solid gate, easy to climb and hides them while they kick in the back door.

I will have a look at the wickes kit you mentioned, it kinda depends on the quality of it tbh, also i do enjoy a bit of woodworking even if im not that great at it :D so i dont mind spending a day or so getting stuck in.

The gate doesnt back onto an ally, it is actually flush with the front of the house and then a path leads round the back, but its definately food for thought regarding security.

The premier gate looks fine and would be easier costruction than framed braced and ledged

Sounds good to me, i have a couple of questions though if you dont mind, then i priomise not to hassle you any more untill the gate is done :D

1. When you say t&g floor boards for cladding, do you mean normal pine flooring then treated? or a redwood or hardwood flooring?

2. Dos it make much difference if the gate has a straight top rather than having the cladding arched at the top? From what i read arched tops stop water resting on the top of the gate and having a negative effect, but does it make much of a difference.

3. Now i feel stupid asking this, but im not a carpenter and just want to ensure i source the correct timber. Im not sure what you mean by

1.1/4 x 6"

I have only ever known the dimensions as 4 x 6" so im a litle unsure what the 1.1 is in reffernce to :oops:

I will have a look at the wickes kit you mentioned, it kinda depends on the quality of it tbh, also i do enjoy a bit of woodworking even if im not that great at it :D so i dont mind spending a day or so getting stuck in.

The gate doesnt back onto an ally, it is actually flush with the front of the house and then a path leads round the back, but its definately food for thought regarding security.

Sounds good to me, i have a couple of questions though if you dont mind, then i priomise not to hassle you any more untill the gate is done :D

1. When you say t&g floor boards for cladding, do you mean normal pine flooring then treated? or a redwood or hardwood flooring?

2. Dos it make much difference if the gate has a straight top rather than having the cladding arched at the top? From what i read arched tops stop water resting on the top of the gate and having a negative effect, but does it make much of a difference.

3. Now i feel stupid asking this, but im not a carpenter and just want to ensure i source the correct timber. Im not sure what you mean by

1.1/4 x 6"

I have only ever known the dimensions as 4 x 6" so im a litle unsure what the 1.1 is in reffernce to :oops:

T&g flooring usually comes 6"x1" and is usually flooring quality whiteish looking timber fairly fast grown but good enough for flooring
Red is an old term for better quality pine often a bit red or pinkish but not readily available these day's
Your best bet is to get planed timber from your local trade timber yard,that will be the closest to joinery quality you will get, stay away from the shed's their joinery timber is similar quality to flooring mentioned,
arch top will be fine but will have exposed end grain,A flat top could have a capping rail to seal end grain with sloped sides to shed water.
1,1/4"=one inch and a quarter =32mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back