Garden gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve come across the below gate for the garden which looks ideal, however apparently this hinges to the left (when looking at the front of it) and I need one which can be hinged to the right.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/grange-t...ate-900-x-1800mm-pressure-treated-green/54770

Price and appearance looks bang on and to build one myself would probably cost just as much.

Is it likely to just be the way the frame is constructed which would confirm the handing - ie the way the angled supports are positioned, would anyone know?

Sponsored Links
my thoughts
when i make ledge and braced doors or gates i always go against tradition and put the diagonals in an opposing "\/" so one diagonal is tight and one is loose regardless off which side its hung but plan them to point from the hinges to the lock but will work equally well the other way round
my thoughts on that door are that if the door drops a bit whilst it settles down iff its say 25mm off the ground would expect it still to clear if it drops

sometimes the braces are supplied loose, and you fit them, and bang in a few nails, to suit your needs.

Premade gates often have thin nails, or even wire staples. As they are outdoors I like a few stainless screws.

sometimes the braces are supplied loose, and you fit them, and bang in a few nails, to suit your needs.

Premade gates often have thin nails, or even wire staples. As they are outdoors I like a few stainless screws.
turbo gold or woodspur are fine they tarnish but dont rust or decay
i always screw from the back 2 per overlap diagonally apart
on the diagonals on the top and bottom off the diamond overlap to give maximum support

Sponsored Links
Can I ask what the best method is for fixing a gate post to a brick wall. I want to avoid Rawl bolts, usually I’d Rawl plug and screw fix something on but I’ve seen people suggest thunder bolt or masonry bolt type fixings?

Threaded studding right through the wall, with washer and nut.

Vibration of a slamming gate will loosen all bolts and screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back