Hanging a gate with hook and band hinges?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of fitting a 6' x 3' gate at the side of my house.

It was previously hanging from a 4x4 post that is now rotten (and I have now dug it out) - the gate bolted and closed against my garage wall brick pillar.

I was thinking of reversing the installation by using an adjustable hook and band hinge arrangement this time and have the hook screwed /attached straight onto to the brick pillar - the other side of the gate would then close against the replacement 4x4 post that I will install.

Will this work OK?
What size/length hinge should I get?
Can I bolt the hook part so that it faces straight out from the side of the garage - but if I did this would the gate not just swing open in both directions?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The suggested hinge size is normally a third of the gate, so in your case about 600mm, although 450mm would probably suffice. Assuming you mean it's 6ft wide.

Normally you'd fix a strip of timber (3x2 etc) to the brick then hinges screwed onto that.
Fixing straight onto the brick should be ok? But you might struggle to get all 8 hinge plate holes drilled in exactly the right place.

(If it was me I would take the easy option and put the hinges on the timber post side)

(If it was me I would take the easy option and put the hinges on the timber post side)

Thanks for your reply - on reflection I think I will take your advice and 'take the say option'! Looks like a lot less hassle!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back