Hanging a heavy garden gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very heavy iron gate that I want to hang at the end of the entrance to the back garden - the fixing point would be the end of a brick wall.

When I look for 12mm pins I get things like this come up.

I just want to know what kind of screws (and diameter/depth etc) would be suitable. It's such a heavy gate that I cannot imagine 4 screws holding the weight of each hinge.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
IMG_1424.JPG
IMG_1423.JPG
IMG_1422.JPG

Ok so the gate looks as if the two ends with holes sit on pins from the wall.
Normally a gate post/wall would be planned with a steel insert for the gate, with pins. (Or similar holes for bolts)

i would guess that your options are to buy and fix two eyelet type fixings using a rawlbolt style fixing or find a fabricator to make one steel bar to hold Smaller short bars to fit the gap between the top and bottom?
you may be able to buy individual fixings consisting of a plate and stub?

Sponsored Links

use beefy screws and drill the pin crossways for a split pin to prevent it being lifted off.

You say heavy gate, looks 6'×3', so 100lb? Shear strength of nr8 screw say 60lb, with 8 screws shear per screw about 12 lb so easily strong enough in shear. Assuming gate tries to pivot about bottom hinge then pull out force acting at top hinge about 30lb or 7.5lb per screw. Pull out force per screw can resist say 100kg therefore ok. But depends on how solid your plug and screw fixing into brick work is. Test by swinging on gate

You say heavy gate, looks 6'×3', so 100lb? Shear strength of nr8 screw say 60lb, with 8 screws shear per screw about 12 lb so easily strong enough in shear. Assuming gate tries to pivot about bottom hinge then pull out force acting at top hinge about 30lb or 7.5lb per screw. Pull out force per screw can resist say 100kg therefore ok. But depends on how solid your plug and screw fixing into brick work is. Test by swinging on gate
Hi- yes, I would have guessed somewhere about 40-45 kg, so a bit under 100llbs. I'm going to have to take your word on the maths/physics/mechanics on that as it's beyond my intellect.
Doing 'regular' screws would be easiest for me, but not sure if I could relax if the grandkids start swinging on it etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back