Hanging a Gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have just bought a 6ft x3ft wooden gate for the garden. It is to be hung between two brick walls down the side of my house.
My question is, can I screw/bolt two wooden posts to the brick walls to hang the gate from. If so what size/type of posts please? (There is a 3.5" gap either side of the gate when I hold it between)

Can I also ask what size (in inches) would the T hinges need to be for a gate that size?

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
bolt them to the walls, it will give a better sturier fixing and there will be foundations at the base of the walls that will interfere with the hole depths

right size, wrong sort..
those leave a thread sticking out the top of the bolt, which is smoewhere nice to catch your shin or favourite coat on..

you want the "loose bolt" version ..

they only appear to have 12 x 100 in those, so you'd have to use a flat bit to drill a 1 inch countersink in the post giving you 50mm in the post and 50mm in the wall..

this is a good idea anyway since then there are no projections sticking out of the post to snag on.. you're less likely to snag on a bolt head than an inch or so of thread, but it's still possible..

I've seen those mentioned before, what are they?

are these the "self tapping" masonary screws /bolt that don't require any sort of plug or "shield / sleeve"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back