Fixing Wooden Gate to House Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a gao down the side of the house that I would like to fence of and install a wooden gate. The gap is only about 8 foot in total, hoping for a 6 foot high fence and gate.

My current thoughts are to use those metapost fittings for the two fence posts and then screw(bolt)? a post to the outside wall of the house to hang the gate on.

Can I ask

1. Are these metapost things any good, I am going to use the ones you bolt to the floor.
2. Would the metaposts be good enough to bolt to garden slabs (already there)
3. What fixings would I use to bolt the post to the house wall
4. Will the post attached to the wall be strong enough to hold the wooden gate? Im hoping the gate will be hinged so it opens towards the house wall.

Sorry for so many questions...

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Metposts are really a poor idea in general and give no real strength to a fence. In particular, the bolt downs are really a last resort. Can you do it right by digging down, haviing removed the relevent slabs?

As for the gate, use anchor bolts (from B&Q), and three would prob be enough.

The bolt downs are ok if you've got a whacking load of concrete to bolt them to. Normal paving slabs wouldn't be suitable.

use thru bolts to fix the post to teh wall and hang the gate from that side. It will give the strongest fixing. Take up one of the slabs, dig a hole and concrete the other post in. Then cut the slab to fit around the post.

Met posts are fit for scrap and thats about all, especially for gate posts.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Many thanks for all your advice. I bit the bullet and took the slab up and concreted both posts in, isnt postcrete brilliant stuff!

I think I will fix the gate to the post attached to the wall, that can be a job for next weekend!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back