Fixing garden gate to wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im goiing to be helping a mate fit a 6ft x 3ft wooden garden gate to his house. The gate will be hung off a 6ft fence post (75mm x 75mm) and the post will be drilled/bolted into the brickwork of the exterior of his house.

He has some 10 x 135mm frame fixers as below, will these be suitable for fixing the post to the wall, and hanging the gate off?

IMG_0112_zpsib7god5l.jpg

Sponsored Links
How thick is the wall, and have you got access to the other side of it?

Gateposts tend to move about, with wind pressure and the gate slamming, and screws go loose.

I have a similar gate. I re-fixed mine with studs and nuts, since when it hasn't moved at all. It helps that a garage is on the other side, otherwise I would have had to recess the nuts and plaster over them.

I think the other side of the wall will be the interior of his living room. Maybe we need to use larger hex head bolts and fit them through the wooden post and into the wall, using a ratchet & socket?

Sponsored Links
The link to them bolts from toolstation. I think they were originally called thunderbolts or possibly thunderbolt is a brand, Anyway they are the best option i would use as long as the hole to take them is the correct diameter.

leigh

Did you rebate the bolt head into post? , or you will have only 25mm of bolt in the wall.

Yes I did, the post I actually used to attach to the wall was actually 50mm thick. I used a wood drill bit to bore a 15mm hole about half way through the post (to accept the bolt head and the socket used to tighten the bolt), and then drilled a 10mm hole through the rest of the post for the bolt to pass through. 10mm hole drilled into the brickwork and tightened the bolt with a ratchet & socket, and Bob was my uncle.

One hole was too close to the mortar between the bricks and as I tightened the bolt I could feel it beginning to rip out the mortar and come loose, so I added an extra bolt to the post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back