Fixing gate post to brick house wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need to fix a wooden gate post to the side wall of the house to hang a gate. The gate is 6' x 3' 6" wide, the post is 1.8 meters x 3" square and the wall is brick.

I've bought these frame fixings (76148) from Tool Station:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scr...s/Frame+Fixing+10mm+x+135mm/d90/sd1950/p76148

The fixings are 10mm x 135 mm which are suitable for a maximum fixture thickness of 90 mm.

I was going to put two fixings at the top of the post where the maximum leaverage will be, one in the middle and one at the bottom.

The bottom of the post will also rest on the path.

Is this likely to be strong enough or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
it may help, after washing all the dust out of the holes in the brickwork, to fill them (from the back) with exterior grade NoMoreNails or similar before pushing the plugs in. That will take up any slack and prevent them loosening with the vibration of the gate slamming. (it is also a very good method of getting plugs to grip in a loose hole , or a crumbly wall)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys,

Catlad - By "Thunder bolts" I assume you mean the fixings that don't need a plug, something like:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scr...e+Fixing+Screw+75mm+x+132mm/d90/sd1950/p86493 ?

I've already bought the frame fixings so I'll try with those first. If they don't work then I'll turn to Thunderbolts.

JohnD and r896neo - I'll have a go at the weekend with some suitable No Nails.

From the length of the plastic plug supplied with the frame fixings I assume that part of this stays in the fixture (i.e. the gate post)?

You therefore push the plug through the fixture rather than putting it directly into the hole as you would do with a normal plug.

Is this correct?

Thank you again

Regards

Davey

yes, it is designed for cases where for some reason you can't or don't want to take the "thing" away from the wall between drilling and fixing. Most often used for door and window frames so you can prop and wedge them into position, then drill and fix.

Beware if its windy and the gate is left open (highly likely if you have kids) it could get ripped off the wall like mine did with frame fixings. So I used anchor bolts.

35281.jpg

R896reo he or she asked if there was something better and guess what there is thunder bolts, frame fixings for gates work loose.

I went with the frame fixings in the end as I'd already bought them.

It's an iron gate for access to the side of the house and will be kept locked most of the time. It seems strong enough but if necessary I'll try one of the other methods suggested.

Thanks to all who replied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back