fixing gate post to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently replaced the gatepost and gate etc.
75x75 post next to a wall
I was recommended to use these
Thunderbolt Hex Head Passivated Zinc/Yellow 10mm (M10) x 150mm
http://www.alsfordtimber.com/tools-...ivated-zinc-yellow-10mm-m10-x-150mm-8372.html
and to use a 10mm drill
anyway, they all bolted back into the wall OK
and I had a bigger hole in the timber so the timber part was about 50mm ish

now they have just pulled out the wall :(

height of post about 2.1m
4 bolts used

so how do i fix this now :(

use something like this
http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-fsa-sleeve-anchors-10-x-95mm-m10-pack-of-20/66010

Or some form of plug around the existing bolt, paper

I have a wall now with 4 x 10mm holes - maybe slightly bigger
Post 75x75 - drilled 11/12mm for the bolt to go through
Sunk into the post by about 25/30mm

The gate 1900mm high by 780mm wide is hanging off this post

thanks in advance for any suggestions

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply,
sorry, I dont understand
The bolts are coming out of the wall
not sure how to apply washers

the bolts are fine in the post and not moving from the post - its the bolts pulling out of the wall

Sponsored Links
thanks
Thats the sort of bolt I used - but with a 10mm dia
so the hole will be to big for those at 7.5mm into a 10/12mm hole

the link did not show washers

have you got access to the other side of the wall? Due to the repeated vibration of shutting and rattling, and the weight pulling of the gate, fixings do tend to come loose.

I use studding right through the wall, with a nut and thick penny washer on the other side, which is very secure (as I am coastal I use stainless)

Otherwise, you could use a resin fixing, or the budget alternative of (exterior, waterproof) no-more-nails or cheaper equivalent to fill the hole before you push your fixing in. This also grips plasplugs and frame fixings, but put them in the day before you tighten them, so it sets.

Not really, its right on the edge of the wall return.
Resin fix seems the way to go ,I will have a look in a couple of local DIY stores and see what is available

You have to be careful with some of these "thunderbolt" type fixings.

With genuine "Thunderbolt" you use the same size hole as the fixing - i.e M10, you would use a 10mm drill bit.

However with most of the copies, which look pretty much identical to Thunderbolts, you have to use a smaller drill bit. Usually with an M10, you would use an 8mm bit.

Did you use genuine thunderbolts? Do you have the number 8 marked on the head at all?

As you are fixing right at the edge of the wall, I would advise against any fixings that expand as they are tightened. You will end up cracking the wall.

Resin and threaded bar seems the obvious choice.

With genuine "Thunderbolt" you use the same size hole as the fixing - i.e M10, you would use a 10mm drill bit.

However with most of the copies, which look pretty much identical to Thunderbolts, you have to use a smaller drill bit. Usually with an M10, you would use an 8mm bit.
i was told to use a 10mm drill with these bolts - but not sure if there were genuine - just given the bolts at aylesford timber

AFT 10x100 on the heads

Can i just put sone resin in and then push the bolts into the resin still in the post and wedge the post against the wall and bang the bolts in

is this resin any good
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-polyester-resin-175ml/53359[quote][/QUOTE][quote][/QUOTE]

worked a treat - I tried to update after the weekend i did the work - but the upgrade to the forum, meant for some reason this post nolonger existed
But now its back

i would like to thank you all for your help and advice - I will certainly be using this method in the future and recommend to others - its excellent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back