Garden gate locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after a new lock for my garden gate. It's a 50mm thick wooden gate, with ~40mm of post on the opening side against a brick pillar. I need to be able to lock/unlock from both sides as I get in and out that way with my bike. The current lock is a surface mounted mortice type, which means that the key is very long. Ideally I'd like a much smaller key for my keyring. I like the look of locks like this, but the throw of the bolt is too long and would hit the wall before it's all the way home. A surface mounted solution is preferable.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
surface mounted (rim-)locks are also more easily attacked by levering them off or undoing the screws.

If you fit a mortice lock (i.e. one slid into a slot cut into the edge of the door) an ordinary lock and key will do.

You can buy any number of old (genuine) chubb mortice deadlocks on ebay for a few pounds, mostly with several keys. The older pattern has a silver grey painted casing in heavy steel, but the bolt, levers and other internal moving parts are in brass, phosphor-bronze and stainless and don't rust. The older ones have a bolt throw of about half an inch. Later versions are still made with a 20mm throw, but will not be so common or so cheap. Fit keyhole covers to keep rain out, and give the lock a clean and oil every 20 years.

Used with the correct box staple ("keep") they are strong and secure, provided the gate is fitted so it can't be levered away for the gatepost.

they are cheap because millions of people have them in old wooden front doors which they replace with inferior plastic doors.

If you really want the one in your photo, mount it back from the edge of the door sufficiently that the bolt can fully extend without hitting the wall. It will not inconvenience a thief who really wants your bike.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back