What's a decent waterproof gate lock ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want some sort of decent strength lock for a gate that wont go rusty.
I want it to have a keyhole at both sides, and I guess it would be better if the key insnt too long as my tenant will need to keep it on her keyring.

I cant see anything much online apart from long throw Chinese ones that don't look very good according to some of the reviews.

Any ideas please?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
How secure does it need to be

How thick is the gate, and how is it constructed?

Would you be willing to take it off every ten years to clean, grease and touch up the paint?

Are the two gateposts braced together at the top so they can't easily be sprung apart?

Are you a handy DIYer?

Can you use a chisel?

Why does it need key operation from the inside?

Hi thanks for your response

Its mainly to stop vandals coming into the yard and tipping bins over, they are out of control teenagers, strong as possible really without spending a fortune.

I would say it's a reasonable strength gate,I don't live there so can't measure it.

Would you be willing to take it off every ten years to clean, grease and touch up the paint? Yes

Are the two gateposts braced together at the top so they can't easily be sprung apart?
They are fixed to walls so that's not a problem.

Are you a handy DIYer?
Yes

Can you use a chisel?
Yes

Why does it need key operation from the inside?
Well I suppose a thumb turn would do actually.

Any ideas please?

An easy way is to use a yale-type nightlatch with self deadlocking action. They generally have cases made of non-rusting alloy and internal parts of stainless or brass, well greased. They mostly have a thumb or knob in the inside. The ones with key cylinder knobs are more expensive. ERA brand seem durable. The key will be small. You can put a sloping wooden rail above to throw off the worst of the rain, or a hinged flap. Example. The fixing screws are inaccessible when locked. Cheaper brands are more likely to rust.

If the gate has Stiles that are 44mm thick or more, you can fit a mortice lock. I use one on my back gate where the case is thick steel and the internal parts are all brass except the stainless spring. You will need a chisel.

I take this type out regularly every 10 years to brush off the rust and repaint the case, and clean and lube the mechanism. It's a Chubb 3G114. Available new but hundreds of used ones on Ebay from people who have moved house and changed the locks, or fitted a new front door, usually with several brass keys. Heavier and more durable than more modern designs. Strip it and spray an extra coat of paint on the case before fitting. The rust will be round the keyhole where the key scratches it. Closed keyhole covers are advisable. I can probably do you a lock for a tenner if you want.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have a gatemate on my side gate
Seems ok

prior to that, there was a padlock on a bolt on the inside
I used one side of an old hot water bottle to protect it from the weather

As a low tech solution in my first house I had a couple of these in use on my back gate, they can be made accessible from either side, a squirt of something or other every now and then keeps them working well and whilst the 'key' is readily available the local youths won't be carrying one round with them and in any case they can easily climb over should they wish to. It also means replacements are readily available. If the gate is dark in colour and you don't bother with the escutcheon they're actually pretty hard to see.

Assa-Abloy-Window-Bolt.jpg

They all seem to rust after a few years IME but the gatemate looks fit for purpose.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back