Garden gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a mid terrace property and recently had the back garden all fixed up with a new lawn etc as I have a 3 year old and needed that 'outdoor' space for her to play in.

As I live in the middle of the terrace there is an access path to the back gardens and I would like to hang a gate at the front of it. The gap is just over 1m wide and I was looking at a gate from wickes which is 84cm wide, in order to hang the gate what are my best options? I was thinking a 100mm fence post attached to the brick walls either side with the gate in between? But is this the best way to go?

Please help :eek:

Sponsored Links
sounds reasonable enough, though they are pretty big posts. for my gate I just used 3"x2" on the hinge side and it's been fine.

use appropriate size masonry bolts for the brickwork:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scr...hors/Masonry+Bolt+M6+x+50mm/d90/sd2040/p14441

I find these great for fixing posts to masonry. No need for plugs etc --- just drill the pilot hole then screw in with a ratchet and socket. I used 8x100.

smaller posts would also mean you had a larger gate to get through. if the wickes gate would then be no good, i would suggest you try local fencing companies and see if they will make one for you. i had a gate made for me to exactly the style and size I wanted, for a very good price.

Maybe just have a word with your neighbour before you screw into their wall, I'd expect they'd be fine with it but sometimes little things can breed resentment.

Thanks for the replies. The neighbour is a great guy of advanced years who I get on great guns with. He's more than happy for the gate to go up, offered to pay half etc so thats not an issue but appreciate/understand why you raised it so thanks.

Think I may do a little more digging to see if I can get a gate a bit wider, and also prices to get one made.

Again, thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Could make your own gate. I'm not much of a DIYer but managed. Look up "z gate". Only need a saw, screws and some wood then brackets and latch. Cut the top and bottom of your "Z" to the required width, make the frame attach palisades to front. That said I reckon most fencing suppliers will make one up cheaply enough.

Thanks guys for your thoughts.

I have an update if you like. I managed to get a couple of 100x100 posts and 'tried' them up against the walls to check size, look etc and they look fine.

Think I'm gonna go down that route, and as you said, at least it will be a solid fixing for the gate to hang off.

Thanks for all your help, I will be posting again soon when I'm building my shed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back