Garden levelling & building a sleeper retaining wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fairly close to starting to get our back garden sorted. It slopes upwards from the back of the house by 30 degrees -ish so we're hoping to get a mini digger in (with a driver) to do the donkey work. Basically, we need to remove about 2 feet of earth across the width of the garden and bring it forward, thereby levelling the plot.

I want to replace the existing low brick wall at the front of the garden with a 600mm high sleeper wall. I'm assuming the new wall - or part of it - should be constructed to give the digger something to backfill against? Or do I just get the machine in and get it done, then worry about the wall afterwards?

TRying not to get too hung up on minutely exact dimensions etc, as I know these things have a habit of changing along the journey, but I need to take a patio level into account as well...

Would really appreciate anyone's take on the above!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
We had a guy in to level our garden and there is a fair difference in levels (5 course of concrete block) but the wall is been done as we speak and not before.

Couple of progress pics, sorry the second one is not brilliant but i just took it now from the window!

View media item 33372
View media item 33374

Sponsored Links
We had a guy in to level our garden and there is a fair difference in levels (5 course of concrete block) but the wall is been done as we speak and not before.

Couple of progress pics, sorry the second one is not brilliant but i just took it now from the window!

View media item 33372
View media item 33374

That's going to be nice when finished. You've had a machine in there to do the scraping - how long did it take to do that part of the job?

View media item 33372
View media item 33374

That's going to be nice when finished. You've had a machine in there to do the scraping - how long did it take to do that part of the job?

Hope it will yeah, cant wait to have a garden!

It took him a day to do all that, i will try find a before picture and you can see how much he did! Basically he took all the top soil up and piled that, dug out the lower level, spread that about on the top and re-did the top soil.
Very impressed with how much he did and he was only £180 for a full day!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back