Garden Lighting - Is this permissable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had an electrician over today to give me a quote on some garden lights. I have 10 brick lights to have installed and he said that they have to be on their own circuit as they are in the garden.

But then he said that he could use the garage's radial/ring final circuit (the garage has both of these) and use a fused spur and take a connection from here to power the garden lights.

My question is as he said that the lights have to be on their own circuit, can he take a connection from the garage? As if he did this, the lights would not be on their own circuit? Would that be 'legal'?

Sponsored Links
Outdoor circuits can be fed from any circuit (within reason) there is no reg that says they need to be on their own circuit.

What is a good idea however, is to have some means of separating this part of the circuit from the rest, so in the event of say, rain water getting into one of the lights, you can stop the RCD in the house/garage tripping.

A double pole FCU will do this, so so long as you have RCD protection and an FCU you can take it from the garage/house whatever

I agree with "Iggifer" plus technically when using a FCU they are on their own circuit.

There is a big difference between have to comply with BS7671 and should to comply with the many guides.

It is easy to slip up and use the wrong word. I would say to anyone fitting a washing machine that they should have a means remote from washer but within the room to switch it off. But I am sure I have said at times isolate, just a slip of the tongue.

Sponsored Links
... so in the event of say, rain water getting into one of the lights, ...
Which it probably will.

v1k10 - ask him if it will be possible to cable up the lights you've chosen in a way which will be fully compliant with the Wiring Regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back