Lighting spur from socket circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have two questions which I'm seeking clarification on. I will be getting a spark in to carry out the work, but want to understand what can/can't be done first.

I'm going to have a garage consumer unit fitted in the garage - there's a cable already run from the main consumer unit in the house out to the garage (installed by the original builders), which has its own circuit breaker in the main consumer unit. So it should be a simple job to get the second consumer unit fitted.

I want to have sockets in the garage, and a second circuit provided for garden lights / pond pump / etc. I want one light in the garage itself - and wondered if this can be run as a fused-spur from the socket circuit, or whether it has to have its own circuit provided in the second consumer unit?

Lastly, I had a spark come out last year to fit some lights for me, and asked him to fit a power socket in the loft for the TV amplifier. It uses about 0.5A, and he ran it as an unfused spur from the lighting circuit in the loft - is this acceptable, or should it have been run as a fused spur? Should it be labeled to prevent future occupiers plugging in an electric heater (or similar) and tripping the lighting breaker?

Cheers in advance,

Jules

Sponsored Links
Use the 6A circuit in your garage for your light. If this is a problem then yes you can put it on a fused spur off the sockets.

Yes you should label the socket in the loft as being on a lighting circuit, or ideally use a 5 amp dedicated socket outlet and plug.

A fused spur is no better than a 13A socket as the fuse can still be changed. It's ok if it's on a 16A circuit or ring main.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back