security light installation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, have bought a security light with sensor for my drive and was just wandering what is the best way to wire it up.I will be fixing light on garage wall,the garage has a fuse box inside it that currently runs 3 circuits,1 for garage sockets,1 for garage light and 1 for garden lights.
Not sure if i have to treat as a lighting circuit as theres no switch,if not does it need to wired to fuse box or can i put a plug on the of wire and plug into socket???

Sponsored Links
make sure you adjust the sensor so it doesn't light up when someone walks along the street, or a car passes. (if the sensor has an adjustment)

Hello All

I am not electrically qualified at all , so out of interest, can you lads give me your reasoning :eek: ,
If you were wiring an outside lighting circuit, which, even though the fittings are classed as 'fixed' equipment, and do not require you to do so, but if there were a spare way on a split load c/u , would you connect to the rcd side or not ? (with extra protection and the problems of damp, poor IP rated fittings etc being considered )
This is not a question about work that is being, or is to be done, just a question I would like your opinions on please.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
the reason you dont connect it to the rcd side is because its a light

take a house as an example

a light blows and the rcd trips

the rcd turns off all the other lights too.

for the light to have been on it must have been dark, now its toatly dark as all the lights are off, and if you do not have a split load cu (some rcd protected some not) all the sockets go off too

Methinks JC is a Mod...

Well, they think they're Jesus Christ, anyway... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back