Two Outside Lights? - One Fused socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year I had an electrician come out and fit me a security light on the side of my garage. My garage has its own main fuse box that controls sockets and the strip light.

The electrician added a swicthed fuse so the light can either be permantly on or just on the security mode where it comes on goes off as it pleases.

What I want to do now is add a second light to the back of the garage that lights up my garden...

Am I ok to run the new light wire directly into the switched fuse socket that the electrician added, this socket would then control both lights

Sponsored Links
You say "switched fuse socket " but I do not recognise this term. Can you put up a photo?

It seems lots of people recently are confusing socket with switch.

Do you mean this:
MKK1040.JPG

Or do you mean one of these:

MKK2737.JPG

I was thinking

p42271_l.jpg

but I can't see how to set the auto/manual-on switching with one.

Sponsored Links
sorry, I meant to say Fused Connection Unit.

Like pictures below - one switch with small fuse lug on the casing

mine doesn't have a light on the casing, just a switch which remains in the on position so the floodlight can use the PIR detector and turn on/off when it is disturbed[/img]

Some PIR's have a function where switching the feed on, off and back on again in quick succession will set it to always on, or always off or PIR.

Unless you know the PIR functions the same as the current light you may end up with a very confusing switching control.

You'd be better off wiring a switch with the switched live going to the PIR output and a permanent live going to the PIR input. That way the switch works just like a normal switch (when on the light is on, when off the PIR is functioning).

Both lights are identical, model/make etc

So the question is can two identical lights be connected to one FCU? The swicth will remain in the on position as all I want them to do is come on when moving about the garden

Thanks for the time taken to look at my question

JohnD said:
I was thinking

p42271_l.jpg

but I can't see how to set the auto/manual-on switching with one.

Some PIR/floods, you flick the supply off & on V quick & it switches to "on all the time" mode.

It is best in the circumstances to have individual switching of the floodlights. Is the current switch on a radial circuit of a value >6A? If so, just tap off the feed terminals to a second switch & wire the new light into the load terminals of the second switch.

Thanks for the help guys

Out of interest, I've just been out and checked the fuse that is inside the switched FCU and its 13A

the cable feeding the first light is a 1.5mm twin core and earth...

So, for the second light I was going to use the same, 1.5mm twin core and earth

Both cables going directly into the FCU - keeping the 13A fuse in place

sorry...

The question relating to the lights. The are just standard security lights with PIR

the first is a 150W twin spot light ( 75W each) with PIR

The light I want to put on the back of the garage is a 150W floodlight with PIR

Grrrr, a 13A fuse is for loads of 3kW.

About ten times what you have.

Pull it out and fling it away, fit a 3A fuse.

Remember the point of a fuse is to blow in the event of a fault causing overload. Carrying 3kW will provide a jolly little fire before it blows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back